Looking at inserts for a masonry fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

which insert?

• Napoleon

• Blaze King

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have narrowed it down between the Napoleon EPI3T or the Blaze King Sirocco 25.... Which does the forum prefer and why?

Also is the Sirocco a catalytic insert? Because I'm not sure I want that....

Last edited:
They don't seem to specify that the sirocco is catalytic, but they claim 25 hour burns, so I'd say yes, it's catalytic.

They don't seem to specify that the sirocco is catalytic, but they claim 25 hour burns, so I'd say yes, it's catalytic.
Ok maybe I do want Catalytic. Why are the burn times so much longer with Catalytic? Burn time of the Napoleon is only 8 hours......

Last edited by a moderator:
The Napoleon is designed to not to go so low as to have a slow smoldering burn. That would pollute a lot. Catalytic stoves let the cat burn the smoke and thus can have a low smoldering fire because the smoke is routed through the cat to burn up the volatiles. Note that in winter when the stove is being pressed for heat that the burn times come down considerably, though they are still good.

The Napoleon is designed to not to go so low as to have a slow smoldering burn. That would pollute a lot. Catalytic stoves let the cat burn the smoke and thus can have a low smoldering fire because the smoke is routed through the cat to burn up the volatiles. Note that in winter when the stove is being pressed for heat that the burn times come down considerably, though they are still good.

I should also add that my house is a larger ranch house that is primarily heated by a natural gas forced air furnace. I want to put this insert in the family room at the far end of the house that is always cold.

Maybe a Catalytic stove is better in this instance??

I always advise to buy the best stove you can afford, if you can afford a $3500ish BK then go for it.

Just be forewarned that no one has burned in the sirocco 25 and posted a review yet as it was just released this summer to the public, maybe one of the beta users will come out of the woodwork and let us know how it did for them.

Don't let the fact it has a cat deter you, cat stoves if run properly are IMHO the best option out there for long burn times and gradual heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.