Looking at pellet stove for finished basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
We just moved into a 2400 sq ft ranch. I had a blaze king installed and it doing okay, but not able to handle the whole house at the temps we have had the last week. There are probably other issues with the house, but bottom line is that I would rather have it upstairs in our main hangout area. So I need something for a 1200 square foot walkout basement that is fully finished and has several windows. I am going to try to find something used and I already have a stainless liner installed for a wood stove. Since I have never had a pellet stove I was wondering if you had suggestions or recommendations? I would like something that I can set and forget. I imagine they had everything under the sun like programmable ones, etc.

Blaze King is a cordwood eater. Very nice stoves.

Of corse I would expect maintenance and cleaning. But I would like to start every night and leave it until morning.

I bought my first Harman with the idea that if the mechanicals were all toast I could replace all for around $600. The rest of the stove is solid and simple. P series anyway. Throw in some good pellets and vent properly and your set to go. Good luck

If you want to heat the whole house from the basement, I would run a Harman P68. I heat 2000 sq ft with a Harman Accentra (42k btu), but my lower level (where the stove is installed)is open to my other levels. A P68, can crank out 68k btu's - it's a monster with a 70lb hopper. You may need to put some venting in from your basement to upper level (or a louvered basement door) to distribute heat..

Burning pellets has become my main heat source. I have a brand new oil boiler, which only comes on to heat my water. I burn about 4.5 tons of pellets a year, and have cut my heating costs by over half. Additionally, my house is warmer than I could have kept it with oil. My wife likes the house warm - not at 67/68 (which is what I kept it at when burning oil to save costs).

A Harman is more "set it and forget" than most pellet stoves. Many you have to mess with the damper, settings, etc. The Harman you put it at the temp you want it and let it handle everything else.

Most maintenance is weekly cleanings and filling the hopper daily.

Had we known how much money and how great the pellet stove was, we would have bought and installed one years ago.

i think he is looking for something to heat just the basement having moved the BK upstairs (OP correct me if i am mistaken)

anyway, most any pellet stove is a 'fire and forget" for an overnight burn. and if the basement is well finished most any on the market will do that square footage , now if you are looking for 'whole house" heat, you will be looking at a big unit the harman p-68 mentioned above is the class of the field as for capacity to heat a large space. i have a couple which can do up to 2K sq ft as well , other manufacturers have stoves as capable.

Put the stove where you live. If your time is spent in a basement there you go. If spent in the front room, there you go.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.