Looking at used pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
There are a few stoves for sale locally that I'm interested in, and I'd like any input any of you care to offer. I have a 2100 sq ft home that insulated probably better than average, with electric heat. Anything around 38-42K btu should be fine.

At any rate, here are the candidates:

4 yo Quad Santa Fe $1200 may be a lttle light on the btu's
older model, but well-maintained Quad 1200 - $1300 - new controller, igniter, thermocouple
1997 Harman PP38+ currently running $1000, new-ish blowers.

All are within easy driving distance and budget constraints.

My biggest concern would be with the Harman - a little worried about parts availability, esp. control board. But it's running, nearby, and it sort of looks like the wood stove it would replace. It's a nice fit for my needs, I'm just a little concerned about parts. A year from now, I don't want to own a $1000 brick.

I might also still be able to pick up a currently-in-use 6 yo Harman Advance for $1900. It's a longer drive, and stretches the budget a little harder, but the seller seems very solid. Might be gone, haven't talked to him for a week or so.

I might add that I have no experience with pellet stoves whatsoever - however I'm a lot more technically inclined than the average person. I've worked with computers, storage systems, and networking stuff for years, so as long as the fit and finish aren't junk I wouldn't be afraid to tear any one of these apart for the sake of replacing whatever component if need be. I have tools, meters, etc.

Thanks!

-Brian

Save some buck's and maybe get a Whitfield, lot's of part's and built to last forever.

Parts are available for the p38 but may have to upgrade if the board goes.

Save some buck's and maybe get a Whitfield, lot's of part's and built to last forever.
Some are, someone should get thier butt kicked with the Profile.

There are definitely a few Whitfields available, too. Any particular models to prefer/avoid?

Quest is simple, heavy, good looking and no stupid photo eye.

you can get a brand new CAB 50 for around $1200.

around here, CAB50 is 2K - can you point me to a resource? I'll definitely drive or go mail order to get one for $1200 - southern NH.

There are a few stoves for sale locally that I'm interested in, and I'd like any input any of you care to offer. I have a 2100 sq ft home that insulated probably better than average, with electric heat. Anything around 38-42K btu should be fine.

At any rate, here are the candidates:

4 yo Quad Santa Fe $1200 may be a lttle light on the btu's
older model, but well-maintained Quad 1200 - $1300 - new controller, igniter, thermocouple
1997 Harman PP38+ currently running $1000, new-ish blowers.

All are within easy driving distance and budget constraints.

My biggest concern would be with the Harman - a little worried about parts availability, esp. control board. But it's running, nearby, and it sort of looks like the wood stove it would replace. It's a nice fit for my needs, I'm just a little concerned about parts. A year from now, I don't want to own a $1000 brick.

I might also still be able to pick up a currently-in-use 6 yo Harman Advance for $1900. It's a longer drive, and stretches the budget a little harder, but the seller seems very solid. Might be gone, haven't talked to him for a week or so.

I might add that I have no experience with pellet stoves whatsoever - however I'm a lot more technically inclined than the average person. I've worked with computers, storage systems, and networking stuff for years, so as long as the fit and finish aren't junk I wouldn't be afraid to tear any one of these apart for the sake of replacing whatever component if need be. I have tools, meters, etc.

Thanks!

-Brian
Quad 1200 is a good price. That pp38 with a new board, wiring harness, burn pot and igniter becomes a p43. Never really understood why Harman continued to produce the P38++, especially after the P43 came into being, nobody wants to buy a "Charlie in the box"

Last edited:
I talked to the owner of the Quad 1200. It needs a new door gasket, which doesn't sound like to big a deal. She also said that when they start the stove, it'll shut down if they turn down the heat output switch "too soon" after it starts up. Any ideas what that might mean? They always ran they stove with the thermostat full on, leaving the heat output at low.

around here, CAB50 is 2K - can you point me to a resource? I'll definitely drive or go mail order to get one for $1200 - southern NH.
Google L and M Supply Eco Cab 50. They are $1,299 there and ship for $225. They are in MN. It's a good deal. They are Quadra-fire based parts and have 120 lb hoppers. I am looking at one myself.

They have more expensive OAK kits and I think they are about $140. Then you need the exhaust vent and an install which you could do yourself or pay someone. Every where else I have seen them they are $1,700 to $1,900 list price.

I saw all of those on CL (I'm in NH too). Emailed the guy with the Harman and he never got back to me. Might have been the quirky CL email - or maybe he had so many inquiries that he missed that one. The only Harman dealer that I know of in my neck of the woods is in Jaffrey. But. I'm guessing that web ordering or ebay you could find parts.

I was thinking about the Santa Fe but ended up picking up the St. Croix that was on CL last night. Which brings me to the fact that it isn't hard to replace a door gasket. The have kits at my local Aubuchons and probably at the big box stores too (I'm going to replace the door gasket to the St. Croix before I try to start it up again - first start was not what I was hoping for :O.

I saw all of those on CL (I'm in NH too). Emailed the guy with the Harman and he never got back to me. Might have been the quirky CL email - or maybe he had so many inquiries that he missed that one. The only Harman dealer that I know of in my neck of the woods is in Jaffrey. But. I'm guessing that web ordering or ebay you could find parts.

I was thinking about the Santa Fe but ended up picking up the St. Croix that was on CL last night. Which brings me to the fact that it isn't hard to replace a door gasket. The have kits at my local Aubuchons and probably at the big box stores too (I'm going to replace the door gasket to the St. Croix before I try to start it up again - first start was not what I was hoping for :O.
If its outside try get it as well cleaned as possible with compressed air and lookup leaf blower trick to aid sucking everything out. Just remember to disconnect the vac Switch or you will end up replacing it. Good luck. St.croix has cleaning videos.

If its outside try get it as well cleaned as possible with compressed air and lookup leaf blower trick to aid sucking everything out. Just remember to disconnect the vac Switch or you will end up replacing it. Good luck. St.croix has cleaning videos.

Don't have a leaf blower, so can't try that trick out (recently divorced - ex got the lawn tools). The guy had cleaned it and replaced the blower recently although I still cleaned out with small shop vac because they had fired it Thursday night for me to check that it was working correctly. Plus, when we moved it, all the outsides were removed to make it easier. Will be looking to clean again tomorrow (ahem, see my post on Cautionary Tale), so thanks for the reminder of the videos - I'll be checking them out!

I ended up buying the old Enviro EF3 for $800. I won't be installing it until next weekend, however. Totally manual stove, which somehow I find appealing. Parts are plentiful and not too expensive.

I know a guy heating 1,800 SQ FT with that model stove. He really likes his. Has had it for numerous years too. I almost bought an Enviro. I think the EF3 is a good stove from what I know.
Good Luck and get us some pics!

Good for you bcarton - hope it works well for you when you get it installed!

Good luck!, see my avatar pic, thats a enviro empress i picked up for $400 few years ago,needed work, the room blower was horrible, hardly blew out any air compared to my whitfield, the flame was very low even on high heard it needed a auger motor, the glass needed a upgrade too, needed work so I sold it....junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.