Looking at VC Vigilant need some help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan2c

Nov 10, 2012
N.E. PA
I found a vigilant stove for sale for 75 bucks obo on craigslist today looks in really good shape and said it was restored. I emailed the seller and didnt here back as of yet. I plan on putting in a second stove in the upper floor of my split level, I have a fisher insert in the lower level but having a rough time getting heat to the bed rooms upstairs. I wanted another fisher but this stove looks very nice and the price is great. I guess what i want to know is should i go for it if it is still available or hold off till I find a fisher?? Thanks.

You can probably find a lot of Vigi info by searching around here...

two quick points. First, it uses an 8" Flue. That means the chimney may cost more unless you already have it.

Secondly, this stove needs a very good draft to operate properly. That means a tall warm chimney with few bends. This may or may not be your case with an upstairs installation.

Of course, I'm sure you realize that neither it or the Fisher is up to modern MPG (efficiency) standards.

The chimney would be about 15 foot high with 2 90 degree angles. The stove will not be used as much as the fisher only when needed, I made it till feb. last year till i had to turn on electric heat for s shot cold spell. Im in no rush to install but i think if the stove is still available for that price im gonna give it a try after doing some research. If not i will keep looking for a fisher. Thanks for the help webbie

Status
Not open for further replies.