looking for 4 way mixing valve piping scheam with no storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave T

Mar 28, 2008
Dansville NY
I am in the process of piping my EKO 60 with a 4 way mixing valve (manually controlled) and no storage ...Do I need a bypass around the Termovar for when no zones are calling for heat,or will the mixing valve allow hot boiler water to go directly from the supply to the return???Any help would be appreciated..DAVE

disclosure up front- it's been a very long week at the day job, and I just emerged from a cobweb-ridden old farmhouse stone cellar after crowbar-ing my water to air HX out of a crate, so I may, very definitely, be at the dimmer-end of my potential clue-ability-

but (or so...)--

I am not quite getting it

so, please, explain what you are trying to do with such a configuration, and why?

I am trying to grasp the piping solution using zone valves and a 4 way mixing valve as boiler return protection and find myself wondering if I need a pipe to allow flow to go around the mixing valve from supply to return when zones are not calling for heat and are closed..

It looks like the bypass in the manual is the storage loop but I am planning storage next year ...

What I did is instead of a separate loop you are describing, I plumbed my loop in through the existing boiler. Yes I have a little heat loss through the boiler BUT it is up to temperature all the time when the wood is running. With an EKO 60 and no storage that may be a something to consider, everything will be up to temperature in no time and cycle off. I just used a manual 3 way mixing value too.

Status
Not open for further replies.