Looking for a 3+ cu ft Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm going to level with you. Over firing is my biggest fear being as inexperienced as I am. I bought an infared thermometer and obsessively check it lol! After a few fires I'm starting to get comfortable

I was more laughing about the "about 599 F". ;lol Yep, I can still remember the apprehension the first nights the fire was still going and I went to bed. Nothing wrong with being careful when playing with fire in your house. >>

Okay,

So I got some bad news today on Kuma, their delivery is even further out, and I wouldn't get a stove until at least Mid November. I can't install a liner and pour a crown then, so I have three questions.

First, is there a way to install a chimney liner without an insert installed? The one thing to consider is that I want to pour the insulation mix in, and my crown at the time I install the flex liner.

Second, is it a problem to install a 6" flue insert on an 8" liner? This would be in case I would ever want to go with a cat insert in the future.

Finally, if the first two questions don't meet my "wish", I am pretty much in the air between the PE Summit and the Enviro Boston 1700. Is there much difference in the burn times between a 2.5 and 3 cu ft insert.

Thanks,
Matt

No one has asked, so I will.

Anyway to install a freestanding stove instead of an insert?

I don't really think that is an option. I am positive the wife wouldn't like that, and I don't think I could ever care for that look. Also with young children, I don't really want to take that chance either. I am already going to have to design a gate/fence to keep them away.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I don't really think that is an option. I am positive the wife wouldn't like that, and I don't think I could ever care for that look. Also with young children, I don't really want to take that chance either. I am already going to have to design a gate/fence to keep them away.

They will only touch it once......

Reactions: danieltp
I did not setup any gate, just kept teaching them it was hot...now they never go near it. Kinda funny actually. If I ask my little one what does a stove do he says "tssssss hot".

Reactions: Owen1508
So I pulled the trigger on the Kuma Sequoia. There is no sense on settling on something, just because I have to wait. Hopefully the parts that Kuma is waiting on for the stoves isn't something they need to begin the build, and they can ship it shortly after.

I will go ahead now and get the liner, and get it "partially installed" so that I just have to move it up/down for final install. We will then see what the temps are like for the insulation pour and crown. I don't want to mix the cement/vermiculite and have it freeze.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I think we will be happy for years with this purchase! Now on to planning the install.

What does the crown look like? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if instead of a poured crown, a custom fitted top plate would be better. This can be made of stainless. The advantage being that you could install now and adjust the liner height later as needed.

What does the crown look like? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if instead of a poured crown, a custom fitted top plate would be better. This can be made of stainless. The advantage being that you could install now and adjust the liner height later as needed.

There is no crown, never has been one. This was a first class house (sarcasm) as the builder/former HO only surprised me when something was done correctly. The chimney was single layer brick without a liner all the way up and had nothing preventing the raccoons or squirrels from going in. I just prefer the "traditional" look of a poured crown, but that being said, I will just get the $225 chase cover from Rockford or something similar.

I may be finishing the chimney next spring.