Looking for a Defiant Encore Install Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhatDayJob

Dec 14, 2021
Colorado
I'm looking for a detailed manual that breaks down the Defiant Encore. My model says 1986 on the fireback, so I assume it's about that old. I've downloaded the install and user manuals, but they show a different fireback, and they don't show a detailed explanation of which parts must be removed to access what. I'm primarily interested in getting access to the catalyst so I can clean it, but I don't want to start randomly pulling bolts out without a clear idea of the scope of the work. Is that something that even exists? If not, can anyone provide some guidance?
Cheers,
WDJ

Can you post few pics of the stove front side and interior

Sure thing. Here's a couple, let me know if you need more. The andirons are aftermarket, I'm not sure about any other parts. There's also a weird drooping warp in the section that passes into the piping.

Stove firebreak.jpg

YCpoANkq-lGZEWX_4gRfc4Q6M9lOzvqgsN47A7MGJiuHjbmMf7GvtgK7tlpWtsQhf_i18Q3c4ey_Ef90vlvFQXqf9MzsRG-Azwt-wpwU6RTAyP4FqPDh9goQXjnPxmWxxGB5kjM8wEp41BNQH_4w4EZK-WeiTUrVSYJu0XuRIqk2cAeuqqJ0zPs0SkslQkSfPRMZwcxTYRbKWl6voTh9854_ScpfQFEqozqlTXgHe1O7HSuN5IZ1HJXOd2WI8Q2ZcibK0TocGuvzdGqJUqwmdQ5lDDVhISlBe4SCPeWauWhFahksvb0fqrWHSi5pjn23bLSzGBM5cSSuKjcW2oTVUgLRTRqYRCXpkE8u0SzioyoFdgwIxB5EoHqVE7HQVZCFuxrqRSMTnTsdcy-_NatIbFwY6xOZO84bjPkWStVesg9q_xG_edJwSaJjb0GKO1Qo0W9DX_wZG1vvI0bXcc_Vz8_UxJrQFYXXsj-0OGec0utsMgDaQqD-nJj0R7bJjbblIAevBe6QOgRPIksnVPcsih7K-32B5wPlZQZPD8ihzd89Elpqp6UqUPE2b4Kq5yH62hXFqNOnPzarNDbIguq5YYVC3h4O6QaWOWhNhHPHAIa6cL-zxpwXcyY18JpD14WE4DRk7NAmDZOEw5Ri1m1uO5Sh1MP7vSPfkmdDFoylN6QhlCY1_zHtZ1mWLZWAH7kRueQ4zaGero7C2ll4zpnQoUvy=w1627-h1225-no

This is model encore 0028.

Reactions: WhatDayJob
Thank you! Looking at the cutaway view of the stove, it looks like that lower firebreak plate should come free when I unscrew the two lower bolts. It doesn't seem to want to move though. Anyone with experience with that model have a suggestion?

Welcome to the forum btw.

There is a dedicated VC thread in the main forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there. The 0028 had a cat replacement slot at the back of the stove. If you want to replace the refractory box, you then will need to remove the upper part first then the lover back.

Thanks. Found the manual and pulled apart the catalyst yesterday. It's all in pretty rough shape. I'm not sure this stove has much life left in it.

Parts are very expensive for these stoves.

Yep, that's what I've been learning. This one came with the house, so we're only out the money I've spent on wood and some odds and ends. Next up is the discussion on what we replace it with, and what that'll take. Any modern stoves that use an 8" pipe? I'd rather only have to pay for the stove, and not an entirely new pre-fab chimney too.

Yeah, that is what I would do. Post your question (a new thread) in the Hearth forum. Indicate that you have 8” pipe and are reluctant to replace it. Cheers