Looking for a electric chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
Does anyone use a electric grinder for keeping their chains sharp? I just cant seem to get a hand filed chain sharp enough, and now I must have about 10 chains laying around that need sharpening, I'd rather get a grinder. I've looked for some on the net, and I dont need a multi-hundred dollar unit for my purposes. Any decent grinders out there that aren't way too expensive? Thanks

I purchased the Harbor Freight one last year. I have used it often on 3 chains, in rotation, on my 455over the course of 2 years, and over 30 cords of wood. It does the job a $40.00 grinder is designed to do. I now hand file all my chains, and have had better success on initial sharpening, and holding an edge. There has been a number of times that grinder has saved me from buying a new chain, or taking it to a shop, just to have them grind half the cutter out. If you get all the cutter heads goofed up, i.e. hitting a rock, or nails, the grinder is the silver lining. The only complaint I have us that it seems to heat the cutter head up a bit, untempering the metal, making it loose the edge faster. A good file and allot of patience will reward better that a cheap-o grinder. But hey, I have one, so...

Another helping point in helping the novice sharpening experience is to get a round chisel, or even a chipper chain. The full chisel is sweet, but only on clean wood. The round chisel will hold an edge for allot longer before needing a freshening up. I have seen a bid difference between the 2 kinds, and will lean towards the round chisel on my 028 when there is any question of what the wood has been laying in or the condition the wood is in.

lignums,

is that round chisel referred to as "RC" chain?

Ive been sharping mine by hand, hit a nail last week and trashed on of my chains, so I need another.

I need to do more research on hand sharpening I guess, my dad, and grandad have both shown me how to sharpen or touch up a chain with a round file, but I am afraid Im not as good as it as they are.

Lignums said:
I purchased the Harbor Freight one last year. I have used it often on 3 chains, in rotation, on my 455over the course of 2 years, and over 30 cords of wood. It does the job a $40.00 grinder is designed to do. I now hand file all my chains, and have had better success on initial sharpening, and holding an edge. There has been a number of times that grinder has saved me from buying a new chain, or taking it to a shop, just to have them grind half the cutter out. If you get all the cutter heads goofed up, i.e. hitting a rock, or nails, the grinder is the silver lining. The only complaint I have us that it seems to heat the cutter head up a bit, untempering the metal, making it loose the edge faster. A good file and allot of patience will reward better that a cheap-o grinder. But hey, I have one, so...

Another helping point in helping the novice sharpening experience is to get a round chisel, or even a chipper chain. The full chisel is sweet, but only on clean wood. The round chisel will hold an edge for allot longer before needing a freshening up. I have seen a bid difference between the 2 kinds, and will lean towards the round chisel on my 028 when there is any question of what the wood has been laying in or the condition the wood is in.

Not exactly. According to the Oregon Website the grinds of the chain come in 3 varieties. Square Chisel/Full Chisel, Semi-Chisel, and Chipper.

Here is a like that is helpful,

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/maint_safety_manual/manual_maint_03.pdf

The Stihl chain is a little bit more confusing, and I don't really but that much chain for my 028's, I use the Husqy's mostly. But I can tell you this, I don't have to touch the chain on my 028's hardly ever compared to the Husqy's Square Chisel chain. When I use the 028's, I can go through 4-5 tanks of fuel before I have to touch is up.

The Stihl Chain Identification page is Here.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/identify.html

I am a novice when it comes to sharpening and the best sharpening tool I have used is this. It has a degree line to keep your angles true.

Attachments

• File.jpg
    File.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.