Looking for a good Shoulder Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mik_kane

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2012
NEPA Poconos
Just got 3 ton of Barefoots, now I am looking for a shoulder pellet for the not so cold days. My choices from Lowe's is Presto Logs, North American, and Appalachian wood pellet.

Tractor Supply has American Wood Fibers

Thanks

Not familiar with pellet stoves, but isn't the benefit to pellets is that the heat output can be automatically regulated by the thermostat and feeder on the unit? If this is true, why would you need different brand pellets and not just go for the best heat output pellet you can afford?

there's no point in burning the pricier stuff when you don't need all the heat. its cheaper to burn the cheap stuff on low.

presto logs are my choice out of that list. I hear AWF is pretty decent too.

I agree w/ Jay....it depends on which Appalachian. Otherwise, the PresTo logs would be a good choice for shoulder pellets, IMO

Not familiar with pellet stoves, but isn't the benefit to pellets is that the heat output can be automatically regulated by the thermostat and feeder on the unit? If this is true, why would you need different brand pellets and not just go for the best heat output pellet you can afford?

I'm with you. If you need heat you need heat.To me shoulder season is when its cold enough your shoulders go up...

Reactions: newbieinCT

Many burners just go all season with the good stuff. I hear the pellet dealers love this sort. ::-)

Us frugal members that pinch nickles and dimes(so we can afford more beer, fancy toys and put the kids through collage). Find reasonably priced pellets that do just fine when you don't need the good stuff. Heck some do just fine all season on the cheapest fuel they can find. I saved approximately $75 to 100 on cheaper pellets last season. I usually haul my own pellets to save on delivery fees. It adds up when you put it all together!

I started burning wood, Then pellets to save money on heating and keep the oil/gas/electric company from getting rich............, Can't let them pellet guys get carried away either! :p

But if the cheaper pellets put out less heat, you are going to chew through more of the cheaper pellets...thus make up the difference for them being cheaper than the good stuff that cost more (same rule would apply for full-on winter, no?)

If one believed all pellets are equal? Then they must have talked with the teen at the local Home Cheapo..

Just as different cord wood is better than others.. Say Cottonwood over Oak, Hickory, or Hedge. .

Pellets are not the same either.

To get back on track, I have liked the Prestos. Been good to me. But mine are 3 yrs old. Bought 5 ton 3 yrs ago and only burned about 1-2 ton each yr. Still have almost 1.5 ton. :)

"Shoulder" pellets fascinate me as much as "shoulder" cord wood. With the controls you have with a pellet stove why not just burn the best and burn it less.

Serious question from a pellet burning rookie.

Gotta jump in here ! So up until this year I have burned nothing but Oaks and Vermonts
Going into this year I was ( GIVEN ) 10 tons of Green Supreems . Farther inlaw long story .
Are they that bad ? Surely they will burn and make heat ! I don't care if I have to burn more of them it's free heat either way !

My opinion of shoulder pellets are those that have more ash. I don't mind burning them in the shoulders because my stove is not on 24/7 so I am not cleaning it out all the time. And they of course would be less expensive.

Going into this year I was ( GIVEN ) 10 tons of Green Supreems . Farther inlaw long story .

Would he like to adopt a really older son?

Reactions: subsailor
Would he like to adopt a really older son?
He's a nice guy just jumps the gun sometimes ! Got them for 189.00 a ton - 10% As a Vet from HD
I still have some of the good stuff also . So is it just high ash with these ? The cb1200 has a pretty big ash pan !

Reactions: DexterDay
High ash and low heat.

He's a nice guy just jumps the gun sometimes ! Got them for 189.00 a ton - 10% As a Vet from HD
I still have some of the good stuff also . So is it just high ash with these ? The cb1200 has a pretty big ash pan !
You should be fine do long as you don't normally run on the max setting. The Greene Supremes feed a little slower than the average pellet. So to make up for that you need to run on a higher setting for equal heat of other brands. I like them for this exact reason in the shoulders. Yes....they are ashy

He's a nice guy just jumps the gun sometimes !

Us old farts are like that sometimes. He likes ya. A good thing. Scoop ash and tell him how great they are. And how warm the family is.

All my FIL ever did was put wet logs in my woodstove while I was at work and completely plug the chimney in one day. Said it made the wood last longer. Gave them money and sent them out for dinner while I headed to the roof with the chimney brush.

Reactions: Bster13
I burn my stove on low 99% of time feed gate wide open . Slowly warm the house and Every thing in it !

Reactions: DexterDay
It's funny you say to keep the family warm ! He says he bought 2 tons for each of us ! Told the grandkids when you feel warm this winter that's Pop hugging you !
I lucked out he's a great guy ! Hauled wood his whole life on the Golden road . 100% Frenchman and I mean that in the nicest way .
When he saw my first pellet stove he had a crazy puzzled look on his face and when he saw me buring softwood !!

Reactions: newbieinCT
Hauled wood his whole life on the Golden road .

Not many on here know what that means. Fortunately for me, I'm headed there next Thursday.

Reactions: nksdad2007
Status
Not open for further replies.