Looking for a LARGE canvas/leather log carrier.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchristo

Jun 16, 2009
Tuftonboro, NH
I'm looking for a log carrier and I'm considering one like this http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5UW-1168.

I'm looking for something big because I prefer to lug a large bundle and do fewer trips. Where I am, it is very hilly and lots of stairs, so a wheel barrel or log cart will not work.

So far, the one in the link is the largest one I've been able to find, but I I'd like something even larger if I could find one?

Thanks!

I use a 18 gallon rubbermaid tub.

You could always stop at the fabric store and pick up a yard of fabric for a few dollars. It would allow you to make one as large as you can carry.

Matt

I use one that is exactly like this . . . good for hauling the wood in from the woodshed or in from the porch . . . but I find that I still can carry more wood than it can hold and it takes me several trips when I load up my woodbox for the day.

I've got some old duck cloth, very heavy. I'll give it a try tonight to sew one up with an old tie down strap.

this should be interesting....

I will probably wind up with a broken foot as a huge load of wood breaks through and lands on my foot :)

See if you have any thick embroidery or darning needles in the house, and use fishing line or dental floss- very strong and easy to thread. Learn how to do a whipstich, and that should do you fine. Reinforce the seams GOOD- like suitcase webbing, or fold the cloth over several times so the stitches don't rip through the cloth. DO NOT try and do this in a modern electric sewing machine- it will snarl and choke and die. If you have a real heavy duty mechanical one, like the old treadle machines, that will go through anything, but don't break the treadle belt or your wife will kill you dead.

I should break out my old Singer and make myself a log carrier. Nice easy project with straight lines.

~Rose

I have an old Singer that I bought to make a custom boat canvas. I'm going to give that a shot tonight. if it goes badly, and the smart money is on that, I'll be your first customer for your log carrier.

if it goes ok, I'll try to post a picture.

I'm thinking about going with around 48" with short handles.

most of the larger ones I've seen are 37" and have even seen one that is 43", not sure if that included the handle length or not. I'll have to experiment with some rope to get the ideal lenght so I'm not dragging it along the ground.

I hsve one of those bags, looks like the one at Lowes. I thought about just getting a second one and carry one in each hand. Seems like you would be better balanced.

EatenByLimestone said:
I use a 18 gallon rubbermaid tub.

You could always stop at the fabric store and pick up a yard of fabric for a few dollars. It would allow you to make one as large as you can carry.

Matt

When we were kids we use a plastic 30 gal garbage can. Take it through the house on a dolly then let it drop down the stairs stair by stair.

Billy

Try plow and hearth.com

Plow and Hearth looks like they have a pretty decent one for $50.

I dusted off the old singer last night and made this out of 24 oz duck cloth and some old tie down straps.

No comments on the different lenghts of the straps please! I wish I could blame it on the beers, but I can't :)

it is 50" x 24", plus the staps. I think this will hold about as much as I can carry and will definitely save me a few trips this season.

Attachments

• IMG00163.jpg
    IMG00163.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 353
Status
Not open for further replies.