Looking for a large woodburning insert - Decided on Large Flush Arch by FireplaceX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in east aurora

glad you have it up and running, Laxin, and that you're happy with it. I had an FPX in my old house, but it was before I knew how to burn in an EPA stove. I slammed so much bad (e.g. wet) wood through that thing in 4 winters trying to keep a big flame going. I never did get enough heat from it. My house was at 9000 ft and I had high ceilings, so I just couldn't make it work.

Out of curiosity, how well does the cat work when you're burning properly in cycles. Loading 6 times a day sounds like a lot to me. Is that over a 12 hour or 24 hour period.

I'm still learning I'd say. All my wood is 16-18% but it's also about 17-18" long so I'm not filling the firebox well I need like a 22-23" split. That being said if I try to load it heavy and catch it then turn it down I can do like 4 reloads in 24 hours. Frequently I find myself doing more like 6 reloads- I just can't get enough wood in and I don't jam it in there enough I always have big gaps on the sides
I'm experimenting with loading techniques it's just my first WB insert and first epa stove and I'm used to how we did it at my grandmas house which seemed like tossing a couple logs on every few hours.

Laxin that's a pretty install. Took some doing but she's in. IMO you would benefit quite a bit from a block off plate. Even though it's an interior install there's a lot of open space around the box and liner. Take off the face plate and surround, stuff as much roxul as you can as high as you can then add a metal block off. Can be done in two pcs so you don't even have to remove the stove. You will still heat your exposed brick (prob more so) for the slow release over time but I suspect you will get more heat into the room. Probably take a couple hours.

Reactions: laxin213
Re East/West. I haven't thought about going longer. I usually stagger my load by putting the first piece all the way to the left, then next piece all the way to the right, working from back to front. Them for the second layer I reverse and put wood over the open spots. I think the 3-4" of dead space helps the air flow. When I've tried just stacking the wood tight I have a hard time getting a good burn.

Re East/West. I haven't thought about going longer. I usually stagger my load by putting the first piece all the way to the left, then next piece all the way to the right, working from back to front. Them for the second layer I reverse and put wood over the open spots. I think the 3-4" of dead space helps the air flow. When I've tried just stacking the wood tight I have a hard time getting a good burn.

I was thinking if I had it tight I would do the upside down fire starting method and stack my kindling and small stuff on the very top of the pile and see how it went.

I will try your method next load though and see how it works for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.