looking for a log splitter not sure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a 22 ton SpeeCo hydralic with a 6.75 hp B&S which I purchased, used, from a pawn-shop at $725. After about 20 cords of wood ( also lended it to m neighbor) the coupler from the engine to hydralic pump broke. For about $20, it was fixed and is back to splitting wood. The SpeeCo is available at most Farm and Fleet stores so I've been told. Cost is about $1500 NEW. Mine splits horizontal and vertical. Like it. Made easy work of the winter supply.

Cheers.

I have the troy built and have split about 40 cords over the past 4-5 years. My cradles are bent all up. I had to replace the hydraulic return line (becuase the bent cradle essentially cut through it....though I consider this my fault....though the placement/design of the return line could be better!) I'm 6'2" and wish the beam was a bit higher. My wife is 5'1" and says the same thing....and she runs the splitter typically. I have never been unable to split anything I have come across. If I can lift it to the beam, I have split it. The engine GC120 I think, has always started on the first or second pull.

While I think it would be nice to be a bit better built, for the $1200 I paid at Lowes, I'm pleased.

As others have said, I think any of these machines will work fine for you.....

TreePointer said:
tumm21 said:
So the splitting power between the troy bilt and huskee are about the same. Looks like maybe I will go with the husky. I just wont do it til it goes on sale or if I can get a coupon. When do you guys think they might go on sale.

I got my TSC Labor Day flyer in the mail yesterday, and the Huskee 22-ton model is on sale again this week (Aug. 31 - Sep 5) for $999 in my region.

Same here. Just had a bolt on cradle welded for it....ready to get back to some serious splitting soon. The 22 ton from TSC has split everything without a problem to this point.

TreePointer said:
GC vs. GX

IMO, except for being a little quieter, the Honda GC is not any better than the Briggs & Stratton models at the same level. Now if you are talking about the commercial grade Honda GX engine, then that certainly is a better engine.

The Honda starts in the cold and wet. That's the difference I found. I had the B&S on an MTD. Had all kinds of problems starting it in the cold. It was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.