Looking for a log splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbowers22

Dec 14, 2009
North Texas
I am looking to buy a log splitter and would like to know if anyone has used this one from Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...542_200395542?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

Please keep in mind that I am not looking for a huge piece of equipment or one to drag out to the woods. I will mostly just be using it at home to split small quantities at a time when ever I come across some logs to bring home and I don't want another small engine to fool around with either. I just want to be able to plug it in and start splitting.

Never used one but a buddy has the one HD sells & likes it. Uses it indoors.
On sale everywhere now.

I once had a 6 ton DR electric log splitter much like the one you are looking at. It split most rounds, but some it would not. It was very small and handy. The DR was one handel operation. Some electrics are not. Some are two handle operation, which I think would be very unhandy. The electrics are nice little units if you are not splitting anything to large or tough. If you are, then you need at least a 20 ton gas over hydraulic log splitter.

fireforless.com said:
How do you know what to look for when buying a log splitter?

What attributes are most important?

1.) what are you gonna be splitting. Straight grained hickory splits alot different than a 44" diameter elm.

2.) Where are you gonna be splitting. In the woods or on the back 40 - electric probably won't work for you. Small stuff in your garage, maybe it will (albeit, I am not a big supporter of the 5/6 tons little guys. I am pretty sure I would hurl it out the door in short order).

3.) production: you need 3 cords per year for home heating or are you producing 250 cords for sale.

4.) etc..etc...etc..

fireforless.com said:
WHats your thought?

My thought is: When I built my splitter, I wanted it to have the ability to shear extra length off of 8" a smaller diameter logs - and it will. :cheese:

You might be asking the wrong fella. I get into some pretty big and potentially nasty wood. I built mine with the ability to split engine blocks.

MOST people would find that a 20 ton unit will split 96% of anything they throw at it.

Attachments

• logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 265
fireforless.com said:
Planning on splitting oaks in teh backyard.

I heard electric wont cut it very well.

WHats your thought?
If you read my previous post on my experience with and electric, I think you will want to stay away from the electric. It won't split every piece of oak you put in it. At least most electrics won't since they tend to top out at 6 ton. However, they do make them in electric over hydraulic that are bigger, say 20 ton that will but you will need a special electric outlet for one that size. As Inferno said, it just depends on a lot of things. For most of us, a 20 gas over hydraulic is just fine. As for which one....you get what you pay for! However, even the cheaper brands that they sell at Farm and Fleet and Rural King are adequate for most home use. You can pay twice as much for one 20 ton vs. another 20 ton. It's just that the more expensive are built heavier and for heavier use like a fire wood seller who splits 10 times the wood each year that us homeowners would split.

Status
Not open for further replies.