Looking for a medium or large modern/contemporary wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
A friend of mine is looking for a stove and doesn't want nickle or gold trims. He likes the modern/contemporary/zen style (sigh). Any suggestions? Looking in the $1500-$2000 range.

Thanks for the tips!

Andrew

A friend of mine is looking for a stove and doesn't want nickle or gold trims. He likes the modern/contemporary/zen style (sigh). Any suggestions? Looking in the $1500-$2000 range.

Thanks for the tips!

Andrew

Yipes!

Many Scandinavian/European products come to mind... But not in that price range. Morso, Wittus, one model from Jotul, etc. I'll do more research and get back to you

Reactions: Oldhippie
and still over budget
The Budget, or the stove will have to change.
The only other option that I know of is the Englander 17vl. It's tiny and not very detailed or defined. But, it's in the budget.

They will be no less than Enerzone stoves. Enerzone is one of the most competitively priced stove manufacturers out there.

They are a lot smaller than they look, it could be considered medium sized though. One thing I didn't like so much is that the firebox is lined with Skamol. It's supposed to be good stuff, but it could be very hard to find on a cold winter day!

Reactions: stayfitz
They are a lot smaller than they look, it could be considered medium sized though. One thing I didn't like so much is that the firebox is lined with Skamol. It's supposed to be good stuff, but it could be very hard to find on a cold winter day!

Didn't know that... Does look like interesting material, but not common in North America

Thanks for the tips!

Andrew
What info can your friend provide with regards to how he will heat. Homes square footage,tight or drafty, will the stove the primary source of heat..?
I'm a jotul Oslo owner. Simple stove, good size firebox, front and side loading. Long burns using good hardwoods.

You may find an Oslo out there used at a fair price, but new at this time if the year may be difficult for the price ranges your showing.q

Thanks for the choices guys. I already had the ones on paper that have been suggested so far.

He said he just planned on burning eco-logs or things of the sort. I told him I know a guy (me) who could sell him 2 cords of wood. He is going to be my co-worker and I helped get him transfered here so I am trying to help him get setup.

I am sure that he could stretch (a bidding war took place on the sale of his old house) his budget if need be. I was trying to convince him to go to the $2800 range.

Osburn have $250 off the Matrix model before the end of the month. ANd they are made 700 KM from here!

Great suggestions so far!

Andrew

What info can your friend provide with regards to how he will heat. Homes square footage,tight or drafty, will the stove the primary source of heat..?
I'm a jotul Oslo owner. Simple stove, good size firebox, front and side loading. Long burns using good hardwoods.

You may find an Oslo out there used at a fair price, but new at this time if the year may be difficult for the price ranges your showing.q

He had planned on burning every now and again but I told him that it will become an addiction. hell, you could even make a TV show similar to Breaking Bad about it: how to make firstarters and stack wood. I suggested he look in the 2.5 cu ft size range. The room it will be stored in is 28X12. And he would like the stove to help heat part of the house. HIs house is about 2000 sq ft.

He had planned on burning every now and again but I told him that it will become an addiction. hell, you could even make a TV show similar to Breaking Bad about it: how to make firstarters and stack wood. I suggested he look in the 2.5 cu ft size range. The room it will be stored in is 28X12. And he would like the stove to help heat part of the house. HIs house is about 2000 sq ft.

Sounds like you'll need to nudge him into the $2,800+ range :rolleyes:

For $2000 an Oslo is doable right now if you take the $300 tax credit into account. I wasn't eligible due to using the $1500 credit a few years back, but just got my new Oslo for $2150.

His budget is going to be a challenge. What size stove do they need? Instead of designer modern they would be better off by looking at simple steel stoves like the Napoleon S1 or S2. For a little fancier maybe the PE Super 27 or Spectrum. Above that maybe the Regency CS2400, PE Fusion, Osburn Matrix.

Thanks for the tips!

Andrew
$300. Made in 2007. Bought new. Shipping is his cost if he wants it that way. I'm keeping the chimney. Scan 61. Good stove when the draft is good, but I think it's ugly and plus I have bad draft in my bottom floor and am tired of smoke going up my stairs when I fire it up.

Attachments

• 003_Scan 61.JPG
    003_Scan 61.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 231
Love the Oslo . . . but I would not consider it a contemporary or modern looking stove . . . in fact, just the opposite . . . which is why I like it.

I agree guys. His taste is simple to explain: the type of style from Ikea. Europeean look. So a square box with 4 legs sitting in his room is not something that appeals to him. He said that as far as he is concerned, gold trimmed anything should have been left in the 80s (door knobs, stove doors, etc). lol

I think for a firebox size they are looking for 2.5ish. Not a beast of 3+.

I sent him everything from the Matrix to the Regencies, Oslo and Rangeley, etc etc etc. I think I sent him 12-15 different ones (including all the ones suggested here). I am going to be curious to see what he decides.

He will also need to install a class A. There used to be a masonry chimney. The previous owners tore it down but left the thimble in the wall (I don't get it..and I wouldn't trust it) and there is still a hearth pad.

He won't find a better and less used stove for the money than the Scan. It can be painted with high temp paint if he wants accents. It is the IKEA look. Plain and metal, lol.

It is a nice stove. Where do you live? if in the US, forget about it. Too complicated to get here..

Not really, I see they are ULC listed and EPA compliant.

He is talking about selling his Scan. This should be done via private conversation and a listing in the Articles For Sale forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.