Looking for a new log splitter, any suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
I am starting to think about purchasing a new log splitter for myself. Currently my father and I are sharing the old Didier log splitter and it is kind of a pain in the butt to arrange times to use it. I don't have a lot to spend, probably can spend up to $1200 but would rather keep it under $1000. Any suggestions on what to look for and where to look and which brand/models to look at. I plan on splitting about 4 to 5 cords a year. I have been looking on craigslist to see what pops up but I usually don't have much luck with craigslist. Usually a day late or a dollar short. Did see a H/V 21 ton splitter by White that was a couple of years for $800. Is that a good deal? Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Three weeks ago I took the plunge and picked up a Troy Built 27 ton from Lowes. $1350 or so was the sticker and you can find 10% off coupons all over the place. Great splitter, smooth runner, Honda motor. I was looking at my local Tractor Supply store but they wanted another $300 for a splitter with the Honda motor (which I wanted).

All of my reading seemed to suggest you'll want something in the 22 ton range (or more) for typical hardwood processing. I've run some pretty crazy wood through my Troy Built in the last couple of weeks with no problems...

+1 on the same splitter and price. Doesnt matter what you put in there something going to give.

For the amount of wood you will be splitting almost any splitter will fill your needs.
Most people only look for how much power a splitter has . I think it is better to see how operater friendly the splitter is. Do you have to spend alot of time bent over ? Do you have to reach over or around the machine to get the wood that needs to be resplit? Will you be tripping on tires that are to close? Get up close when buying a splitter don't stand back to admire it.

Farenheit 454 said:
Currently my father and I are sharing the old Didier log splitter...
Since you probably know what you like and what you hate about the splitter you're using, you should base the decision on your own past experience. It's one thing to have pet peaves WRT to a borrowed or rented splitter and yet another to have buyer's remorse about some feature you didn't give thought to.

the splitter's out there are all close in how they work, price would be the main point if comprairing simlar models mtd,troy built, husky, habor freight.Iam sure there more.

triptester said:
For the amount of wood you will be splitting almost any splitter will fill your needs.
Most people only look for how much power a splitter has . I think it is better to see how operater friendly the splitter is. Do you have to spend alot of time bent over ? Do you have to reach over or around the machine to get the wood that needs to be resplit? Will you be tripping on tires that are to close? Get up close when buying a splitter don't stand back to admire it.

How's this for getting close? No reaching for controls (in picture the right hand is on the control). Not bending over, etc.
DennisCook4-4-09c.gif

That splitter is a 20 ton with a 5 hp B & S engine. In the many cords we've split since getting this splitter we've had exactly one piece that we could not split. Nasty knotty elm. I probably could have split it if I'd have worked on it a bit but that one piece was not worth it. I threw it on the brush pile. But 20 ton will split almost anything. The trend seems to be for bigger as most of the public think that bigger is better. No sense in getting more than you need.

For me, I say do not buy a splitter where you have to split horizontally. The reason is you have to lift every block of wood before splitting it. I prefer to sit while splitting as it is the easiest method. I can simply roll the block of wood onto the splitting plate with my left hand; no lifting. If more than one split in the block, like the one pictured, you just sit one aside while splitting the other and again, one handed get the other half on to split. I don't mind work but hate to work any harder than necessary.

I think splitting while sitting would destroy my back. Don't you find yourself bent at the waist all the time picking up the half-rounds to split a second time? Sure looks comfy though....

99% of the time they stay standing, so no, it is not difficult at all. Actually I have a terrible back and that is the real reason that I choose to sit. It becomes a lot easier than standing or stooping or even kneeling. So yes, it is comfy.

Backwoods Savage said:
99% of the time they stay standing, so no, it is not difficult at all. Actually I have a terrible back and that is the real reason that I choose to sit. It becomes a lot easier than standing or stooping or even kneeling. So yes, it is comfy.

I love splitting the way your picture shows. I use the tires of the splitter to hold the next one I want to split and I was able to split two full cords, by myself, in about 2 hours. I was moving, but, that's pretty fast. What brand are you running there?

It's an MTD, which is really the same thing as a Huskee.

I agree with you. You can split a lot of wood in a little time just working by yourself. You learn little tricks to speed things up. And yes, I do lean some splits against a tire the same as you. If I have a big log, I split it in half and move the left side away while I continue on the other side.

Yes, it is comfortable while splitting this way but naturally the manufacturers do not recommend it.

Also making kindling is extremely fast and easy this way.

Well I must chime in and say I love the first and hopefully last splitter I will ever buy.......My 33ton northstar, this thing will not be stopped. Wow what a nicely engineered machine right down to the auto idle feature, 9hp gx honda motor (not their cheap motor) 16 gpm dual stage pump, ect. This thing is no joke its HD! For 1800.00$ vertical & horizontal........best deal!

Backwoods Savage said:
triptester said:

How's this for getting close? No reaching for controls (in picture the right hand is on the control). Not bending over, etc.
DennisCook4-4-09c.gif

That splitter is a 20 ton with a 5 hp B & S engine. In the many cords we've split since getting this splitter we've had exactly one piece that we could not split. Nasty knotty elm. I probably could have split it if I'd have worked on it a bit but that one piece was not worth it. I threw it on the brush pile. But 20 ton will split almost anything. The trend seems to be for bigger as most of the public think that bigger is better. No sense in getting more than you need.

For me, I say do not buy a splitter where you have to split horizontally. The reason is you have to lift every block of wood before splitting it. I prefer to sit while splitting as it is the easiest method. I can simply roll the block of wood onto the splitting plate with my left hand; no lifting. If more than one split in the block, like the one pictured, you just sit one aside while splitting the other and again, one handed get the other half on to split. I don't mind work but hate to work any harder than necessary.

I agree,

I just borrowed a white 21 ton (MTD) from a friend to finish up my last 4 cords and I found it allot easier splitting vertical! Not only easier but faster for me with or without someone else on the lever. I enjoy splitting with a maul but will be saving up for a splitter next year.

Thanks for all of the input. So are MTD, Huskee, Speeco, Troy Bilt pretty much the same splitter? Are they made by the same company?

MTD is the parent company of Troy built, White, Yardman, Cub Cadet, and Husky ( Home Depot). Plus they also manufacture splitters for Craftsman.

Speeco makes Speeco and TSC Huskee splitters.

Backwoods Savage said:

I can chime in to agree. I would absolutely not buy a splitter that didn't go vertically.

BTW, I have put a number of hours in on a Troy Built 27 ton horizontal/vertical and I never used it in horizontal mode. (Of course, my smallest round was 18" in diameter.)

triptester said:
MTD is the parent company of Troy built, White, Yardman, Cub Cadet, and Husky ( Home Depot). Plus they also manufacture splitters for Craftsman.

From what I hear (and, please, if I'm wrong, let me know!), you want to stick with a unit that has a Honda engine.

Agreed Spike.......thats what settled me on the 28 ton Huskee at Tractor Supply.........It had a 6hp Honda engine on it..........Put 10-15 cords through it and nothing has stopped it......I think it was $ 1300 or so on sale......

Spikem said:
triptester said:

From what I hear (and, please, if I'm wrong, let me know!), you want to stick with a unit that has a Honda engine.

IMHO, Honda engines are nice, but I wouldn't let the engine a splitter comes with be the only determining factor in my purchase decision. I also wouldn't pay a lot extra to get a Honda over a B&S;or other brand... From all that I've heard, there isn't a lot of difference in the reliability of the different OPE engine brands these days.

FWIW, Subaru-Robin engines, and many of the so-called "China Clone" engines are essentially the same as the Honda engines, down to being able to interchange parts... The S-R engines are reputed to be every bit as good as the Hondas for less money, while the CC engines are somewhat of an unknown, but for the price.... (HF sells their 6hp "Greyhound" engine for a bit over $100 for instance) I figure that if the rest of the unit is sound, the engine isn't a big deal - use the machine till the original engine quits and then repower with your choice...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Spikem said:
triptester said:

IMHO, Honda engines are nice, but I wouldn't let the engine a splitter comes with be the only determining factor in my purchase decision. I also wouldn't pay a lot extra to get a Honda over a B&S;or other brand... From all that I've heard, there isn't a lot of difference in the reliability of the different OPE engine brands these days.

FWIW, Subaru-Robin engines, and many of the so-called "China Clone" engines are essentially the same as the Honda engines, down to being able to interchange parts... The S-R engines are reputed to be every bit as good as the Hondas for less money, while the CC engines are somewhat of an unknown, but for the price.... (HF sells their 6hp "Greyhound" engine for a bit over $100 for instance) I figure that if the rest of the unit is sound, the engine isn't a big deal - use the machine till the original engine quits and then repower with your choice...

Gooserider

My thoughts exactly GR . . . while I would have preferred a Honda engine I too had heard that the B&S;engines were pretty reliable, parts were cheap enough and as you said in this day and age if the thing really crapped out bad I could simply pull the engine and put in an engine of my own choice . . . as such the power unit was not my primary determining factor in choosing what splitter I bought.

triptester said:

If troy built, white, yardman, cub cadet, husky, and craftsman splitters are built by MTD do they all have the same specs for say a 22 ton splitter? I mean, are they the same splitter but with different colored paint and stickers on it? Or does each of the companies have different specs that MTD builds for them, such as each of the 22 ton splitters have different engine type or size on them.

So if MTD and Speeco are the parent companies, who is better? What are your toughts.

Pro DIY said:
triptester said:

If troy built, white, yardman, cub cadet, husky, and craftsman splitters are built by MTD do they all have the same specs for say a 22 ton splitter? I mean, are they the same splitter but with different colored paint and stickers on it? Or does each of the companies have different specs that MTD builds for them, such as each of the 22 ton splitters have different engine type or size on them.

So if MTD and Speeco are the parent companies, who is better? What are your toughts.

All splitter manufacturers are actually metal fabricators. They make the frame and then assemble parts made by other companies to end up with a finished splitter.
Engines are generally Briggs, Honda, or Robin/Subaru. Hydraulic pumps are either Haldex/Barnes or MTE. Control valves are made by Prince , Energy , or Brave. Cylinders are manufactured by various companies and rarely are brand identifiable.

Companies sometimes use slightly different combinations of components for their different brands, but many times it is only paint and decals.

It is very difficult to compare splitters because engine and hydraulic components combinations are often the same between different brands. A small Timberwolf splitter can have the same hydraulic components and engine as a MTD.

Get a splitter thats within your budget. Someone in this thread made a very good point in terms of getting a splitter. Get whats comfortable for you thats in your budget. I have a 22-Ton Huskee I purchased from Tractor Supply. It has split everything I have thrown at it and starts everytime. My budget wasn't in range for the 28-Ton with the Honda engine, but I couldn't see myself paying more for just a different engine and a little more HP. I do residential splitting, not commercial.

Here are some pics I took a few weeks ago. I'm splitting wood I found on CraigsList..

Attachments

• IMG00040.jpg
    IMG00040.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG00041.jpg
    IMG00041.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 678
I went to Tractor supply this morning with my dad to get him the 22 ton splitter.
I see people on here saying it is on sale and some get an additional 10% coupon for a price of $899. I was looking to get it for $999. The guy there told me he never saw them on sale and never heard of a 10% coupon. He also said the TSC stores run independent sales and that each store is different. Do you guys agree with this ? For $200 I will drive to the next store but will they work with me on the price over the phone ? I do not want to spend $200 on gas to drive to all of the stores around.

How do you think I should proceed ? Trying to save my dad a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.