Looking for a new log splitter, any suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurricane said:
I went to Tractor supply this morning with my dad to get him the 22 ton splitter.
I see people on here saying it is on sale and some get an additional 10% coupon for a price of $899. I was looking to get it for $999. The guy there told me he never saw them on sale and never heard of a 10% coupon. He also said the TSC stores run independent sales and that each store is different. Do you guys agree with this ? For $200 I will drive to the next store but will they work with me on the price over the phone ? I do not want to spend $200 on gas to drive to all of the stores around.

How do you think I should proceed ? Trying to save my dad a few bucks.

I got mine a few years ago on sale for $899 (with a coupon) around this time of year. A month prior to purchasing I signed up on their emailing list and received a coupon weeks later...

CK-1 said:
Hurricane said:
I went to Tractor supply this morning with my dad to get him the 22 ton splitter.
I see people on here saying it is on sale and some get an additional 10% coupon for a price of $899. I was looking to get it for $999. The guy there told me he never saw them on sale and never heard of a 10% coupon. He also said the TSC stores run independent sales and that each store is different. Do you guys agree with this ? For $200 I will drive to the next store but will they work with me on the price over the phone ? I do not want to spend $200 on gas to drive to all of the stores around.

I got mine a few years ago on sale for $899 (with a coupon) around this time of year. A month prior to purchasing I signed up on their emailing list and received a coupon weeks later...

3 or 4 months ago I signed up on their emailing list and all they sent me was a $5.00 off your next in store purchase coupon or 10% off an internet order. Would really like to get one of those 10% off coupons. I have heard that in the past they will give you 10% off your purchase if you sign up for their credit card. I have heard on the news that it is worth while talking to the manager and see if they can take 10 or 15 percent off. Just tell them that you are trying to decide between their splitter and the splitter from Home depot or lowes, which ever is closest and if they could take something off you will by theirs today. It doesn't hurt to ask. I have also heard that this is something to try if you have a couple of the stores near you so if the manager says no you can just walk out and go to another tractor supply and either try again or pay the full price. You might want to have in hand a 10% off coupon from home depot or lowes and see if they will take that. I know that lowes will take Home depots coupons maybe tractor supply will also. I have a couple of tractor supply stores around me if I was you I would try my luck at one of them. If the manager says no then I would say. "well dad lets head over to Home depot, I have this 10% off coupon lets go get that one" I would be interesting to see what the manager would say then. Then I would head over to the other Tractor supply, for me it is only a 20 minute drive, and see what that manager would do for us and purchase it there. just my 2 cents. best of luck.

Bigg_Redd said:
Pro DIY said:
Looking for a new log splitter, any suggestions

Just one. Is a "log splitter" the same thing as a "hydraulic woodsplitter"?

Maybe - Hydraulic Woodsplitter is a subset of log splitters...

Log splitter can also refer to non-hydraulic units (i.e. a Supersplit) or manual tools such as axes or mauls...

It is also sometimes used to refer to the operator of said manual tools - i.e. a spouse, or adolescent offspring, as in "I don't need a hydraulic woodsplitter, give my kid Lizzie an axe and she'll make a great log splitter" (quote attributed to the late Mr. Borden) :lol:

Gooserider

Backwoods Savage said:
It's an MTD, which is really the same thing as a Huskee.

I agree with you. You can split a lot of wood in a little time just working by yourself. You learn little tricks to speed things up. And yes, I do lean some splits against a tire the same as you. If I have a big log, I split it in half and move the left side away while I continue on the other side.

Yes, it is comfortable while splitting this way but naturally the manufacturers do not recommend it.

Also making kindling is extremely fast and easy this way.

Huskee wood splitters are made by Special Products Company (SpeeCo) not MTD.

Note that splitter brands are confusing... As I noted elsewhere, it is hard to keep track of all the names that MTD builds stuff under, but one of the names that MTD uses is "Husky" which is a brand sold at Home Despot (and possibly other places)

However, SPEECO makes a "Huskee" brand, that is sold at Tractor Supply Co.

Different companies, with different products, using slightly different designs.

IOW, Spelling counts...

Far as I know, Husquavarna so far has (fortunately) not entered the splitter market, or things could get really confusing....

Huricane, moneytalks. If you follow my suggestion below, think of how you are going to get the new splitter home if the dealer agrees to the deal.

I would get 9 - $100.00 bills. Walk into the TSC of your choice and say: "I want to purchase that brand new 22 ton hydraulic log splitter you have sitting out front. Here is all the money I have (show him the 9 - $100 bills). Assuming all the fluids are installed and properly topped off, I am willing to spend my entire log splitter budget right here and now".

I have used this process in the past and others have used the process on me and in every case, the green money in a person's hand has closed the deal.

Good Luck,

John_M

John M, my grandfather used that method often along with "Can ya do any better than that" while pointing at the price and holding cash in the other.......worked every time...........

I will try it at another TSC next week and let you know if it worked. I did ask can you do better I will take it now and he said no. I did not have the cash showing.

I'm not sure how well this would go over, but I noticed only one person using a Harbor Freight brand splitter? I really like them as a place to buy tools and supplies that if I happen to break them or loose them after a while, I don't loose any sleep. The biggest thing I got from them has been a 21gln vertical air compressor and have loved it until now....loosing oil somewhere; runs a short time then kicks the breaker off. However, it's also 5 years old and got much use out of it. I get the 20% off coupons in the email almost weekly; they have added lots of splitters to their line up and wonder if that wouldn't be a good deal? They don't post the price online, you have to call the store to make sure what model, if any, they have in stock but let's say you can get a $1300 splitter for $1000. Isn't that a good deal?

Gee, I never get the 20% off coupons - don't know why they aren't sending them to me - I do get emailed weekly sales from them, but no coupons...

I also have been told by the store in Worcester, MA (the closest one to me) that they never carry the splitters or some of the other big items - I ended up purchasing my splitter from their website, still wasn't a bad deal...

I agree, HF tools are not what you want to try and earn a living with, but most of the stuff I've gotten from them has been reasonably decent - they are good for tools that you need for one or two uses, but not every day tasks...

If you look at my threads on it, you will see that while I've done some mods on my unit, mostly I've been pretty happy with it. There are a few other folks on the forum that I know have HF units and most have been reasonably happy with them.

Gooserider

Goose, try this site: http://www.harborfreight22.com/save/

I signed up several times and never got the % off coupons until I used this link. Now I get them every other week or so.
BTW I put a bogus company name the last time (don't know if this made a difference).

JoeyD said:
Goose, try this site: http://www.harborfreight22.com/save/

I signed up several times and never got the % off coupons until I used this link. Now I get them every other week or so.
BTW I put a bogus company name the last time (don't know if this made a difference).

Thanks for the pointer - I've just signed up there, will see if it helps...

Gooserider

Pro DIY said:
CK-1 said:
Hurricane said:

3 or 4 months ago I signed up on their emailing list and all they sent me was a $5.00 off your next in store purchase coupon or 10% off an internet order. Would really like to get one of those 10% off coupons. I have heard that in the past they will give you 10% off your purchase if you sign up for their credit card. I have heard on the news that it is worth while talking to the manager and see if they can take 10 or 15 percent off. Just tell them that you are trying to decide between their splitter and the splitter from Home depot or lowes, which ever is closest and if they could take something off you will by theirs today. It doesn't hurt to ask. I have also heard that this is something to try if you have a couple of the stores near you so if the manager says no you can just walk out and go to another tractor supply and either try again or pay the full price. You might want to have in hand a 10% off coupon from home depot or lowes and see if they will take that. I know that lowes will take Home depots coupons maybe tractor supply will also. I have a couple of tractor supply stores around me if I was you I would try my luck at one of them. If the manager says no then I would say. "well dad lets head over to Home depot, I have this 10% off coupon lets go get that one" I would be interesting to see what the manager would say then. Then I would head over to the other Tractor supply, for me it is only a 20 minute drive, and see what that manager would do for us and purchase it there. just my 2 cents. best of luck.

Tractor Supply has 10% off all on-line orders..

You cannot order Splitters online from Tractor Supply, so that coupon will not work.
I have not been back to the store yet, I am not in NEED of one now my dad wants one and I figured I will split the cost with him. I have 2 years supply C/S/S already.

Hi -

I just wheeled a 27 Ton Troy Built /Honda powered into the garage. List $1399... After manager discount (I asked for) and 10% off coupon for the Post Office Move package. ... $1140 included tax. I like the unit. It's light enough I was able to wheel it into the garage my myself.

All the best,
Mike P

How did you get the "Manager Discount" and 10% off?

Then wait for a deal, That 22 ton huskee was on sale for $999 earlier in the year, and that's what I paid for mine four summers ago. I got 10% off that price then by opening a TSC credit card and that promotion was 10% your first purchase and 90 days same as cash. Then you just close the account. Home Depot, Lowes TSC, all have these kind of promotions or at least they use to.

What a great thread. Now I know what Dennis looks like! :snake:

Status
Not open for further replies.