Looking for a new saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats a good saw. how much wood you cut a year. for a little more. ya can get the 361. i love my saw its a great saw and got plenty of power.

8 to 10 cord and the 361 is no more from what I can see the next one is the 362 and its about 150 more. all the numbers are close to each other. Does going pro make that much difference?

xbunzx said:
8 to 10 cord and the 361 is no more from what I can see the next one is the 362 and its about 150 more. all the numbers are close to each other. Does going pro make that much difference?
Im no expert but im sure some of the other guys will chip in. they'll probably move the thread to the gear section as well where you will get more answers. but i think going to the pro. little beefier of a saw.

I would pick up a dolmar 7900, I have the makita version with a ported 85cc bb kit. Fast and light for having 7hp.

Last winter found me with a dead Poulan and no more desire for a slow, cheap saw. Stihl or Husqv - made no difference to me. First dealer with the saw by eeeks end had the biz. Husqv dealer won and I walked away with a beautiful 357xp. My buddy has a stihl ms362 and we put both to work last winter. Flawless, the two of 'em.

391 a good saw
Will last many years.

xbunzx said:

You're darn tootin' it does!

I really need to get my hands on these new 291/311/391 saws and get 'em dirty as they are totally new animals but if past experience is of any value, the difference between running the old MS390 and the MS361 (Same HP output, the 390 actually had a cc advantage) was night and day. The higher RPM pro-saw engines rotate the chain faster and deliver a faster cut. The AV systems are superior and clutch components are built take the heat so to speak.

If you need that cash for something else, then the 391 certainly is a strong choice and will last many moons indeed. If you're wondering if that $150 actually buys you more saw, the answer is a screaming heck yeah!

The newer Pro saws by stihl also have "stratified" their combustion chambers so they are more eoc friendly and fuel economic. So more oomph and less operational cost. But I am still using my 029 of 23 years of age and don't anticipate it failing any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.