Looking for a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asalligo

Sep 11, 2015
Tennessee
Good morning, I have read all the info on the sticky on this subject, but am not much closer to finding what I want.

I am looking for a

Fully cast Iron stove body
With a front viewing window
Top cooking surface (Not Large)
Heats at least 1800 square feet
Around $1500 or less

Am I dreaming? Does this stove exist?

Pretty much dreaming unless you are willing to go to the used market.

Thanks, I was coming to that conclusion. So that brings me to my 2nd question.

I can get a steel stove with a nice window and a decent cooking area for under a $1000 and I have found decent cast iron stoves for just over $2000. I have had many cast iron stoves and never a steel stove. What am I giving up with steel? Will my heating time after last log be severely curtailed?

I can fill my current cast iron boxwood stove before bed and still have enough coals to start my fire just by adding logs the next day. Steel would be fine for me if it heats most of the night, but I will buy cast iron if steel is going to cost me more in heating later.

Nothing magical about cast iron other than the fact that it can be cast (makes purdy stoves). The heat retention of cast vs steel is pretty much a moot point if you do the actual math. Firebox size and efficiency of the burn are really the two things that make stoves burn longer.

Other than going with a stove with a significant increase of mass - it ain't really gonna matter.

Nothing magical about cast iron other than the fact that it can be cast (makes purdy stoves). The heat retention of cast vs steel is pretty much a moot point if you do the actual math. Firebox size and efficiency of the burn are really the two things that make stoves burn longer.

Other than going with a stove with a significant increase of mass - it ain't really gonna matter.

Thank you, Guess it is a new steel stove for me.

I was always under the impression that cast iron stoves have much longer heat retention versus steel stoves.

I was always under the impression that cast iron stoves have much longer heat retention versus steel stoves.

Welp - There is a bit of give and take mostly due to mass (thickness). Cast heats up slower and cools down slower. Steel heats up faster, but cools down faster. Is one really any better than the other??

It could also be argued that cast is a better product to make stoves from due to the metallurgy and its expansion and contraction rates. On the flip side they are gasketed at the joints. Steel is welded but also more prone to deep rust than cast is. Stress cracks too....

Again - is one really better than the other? Me and @BrotherBart go way back with picking on each other over the steel vs cast stoves.

My take is that cast is for stoves, steel plate is for snow plows.:p

Reactions: bholler
And then there are cast iron jacketed steel stoves. These cost more, but offer additional mass and good looks. This can work well for closer clearances and a more even heat with less temperature swing between cycles. They are less radiant and instead more convective in nature. The heat is a bit more like a soapstone stove. Quadrafire, Jotul, Pacific Energy, Napoleon, Blaze King make good looking cast jacketed stoves.

My take is that cast is for stoves, steel plate is for snow plows.:p

Cast is for engine blocks. Steel is for stoves. >>

Reactions: bholler and Jags
Well good thing there are enough choices in stoves for everyone then.

Status
Not open for further replies.