Looking for a remote mount flue pipe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
New member but a 2 year lurker here. Tons of good knowledge around,
I have a Jotul Rockland insert on it's 3rd year and I'd like to monitor my flue pipe temps but as we all know the simple magnet mount basic bi-metal unit is not going to work. I've poked around looking for something simple with a bulb and gauge with no success. It's located in my living room so I have no intentions of hooking up a probe and running wires with digital displays.

Got a lead or direction to point me other than my Grainger book?

Thanks

This company has a wireless model that may work for you.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17
I am sure you set this up so it is not obtrusive.

I bought their magnetic surface mount thermocouple unit this year. Piece of crap. I have to add 100 degrees of adjustment to get anywhere near accurate display. So when the stove is cold it says the room and stove are at a hundred and seventy degrees.

I do appreciate the links and comments but I'm not going to have a bunch of wires coming from the insert in the living room. If we were talking about the cellar stove I wouldn't care. Please picture Santos Mahogany floors, locally obtained field stone fireplace with flush floor hearth and a brown enamel stove next to a home theater.

Something old school that looks like a magnetic stove pipe mount POS common in every woodstove shop with a remote bulb is just what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a reference point type device, not a lab experiment.
I am not willing to look at a digital display glowing in the dark with wires running all over the place.

I'm very sorry if I sound harsh but it's the only way I know on getting my point across. Think extremely simple and mechanical only.

Then say what you are looking for up front. Not take people to task for trying to help based on the OP.

Reactions: fossil
Then say what you are looking for up front. Not take people to task for trying to help based on the OP.

Unless it's been edited . . . he was pretty direct in what he was looking for in his first post . . . "'I've poked around looking for something simple with a bulb and gauge with no success. It's located in my living room so I have no intentions of hooking up a probe and running wires with digital displays."

That said . . . I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like what he is looking for . . . most of the set ups seem a little more elaborate with probes, wires and digital read outs.

I don't know much about this type of thermometer so this is speculative, but I'm understanding the OP to mean that he wants a mechanical gauge driven by a mercury-filled bulb. The problem might be that the boiling point of mercury is 674F, i.e. too low to be used for a stove pipe.

I really like the look of my brand new VC Encore Flexburn all festooned with wires, since adding that CAT probe. Goes nicely with my mahogany ceiling.

Seriously, though - there are several dial and probe type gauges available that are designed for chimney/flue temp reading. But again, that's not the "bulb and gauge" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.