Looking for a short efficient gas stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rstuff

Dec 2, 2012
I have a fireplace with glass doors. It is open on the front and right side. The house is about 50 years old and the fireplace is not vented but it is plumbed for natural gas and has gas logs. It does not put out any heat so we never use it. The house is only a little over 1200 sq. ft. on the main floor and I don't want to heat the unfinished basement. Our furnace is forced air gas and about 25 years old and I would like to replace it with zonal heating. It would be nice to have the bedrooms a little cooler and be able to watch the flames. The fireplace only has an opening about 24 1/2" high by about 36" wide. It is about 26" deep. Does anyone know of a short efficient gas stove that I could install? I looked at an insert by Napoleon that was open on two sides but I would prefer a stove. I was wishing that someone made one low enough that I could even put a teapot on it but that is unlikely. The Jotul Nordic looked promising but I see where they stopped making it about a year ago. The floor of the fireplace is about 3" lower than the hearth which adds a little more height but I am still stuck with the 24 1/2' opening height.

I have a fireplace with glass doors. It is open on the front and right side. The house is about 50 years old and the fireplace is not vented but it is plumbed for natural gas and has gas logs. It does not put out any heat so we never use it. The house is only a little over 1200 sq. ft. on the main floor and I don't want to heat the unfinished basement. Our furnace is forced air gas and about 25 years old and I would like to replace it with zonal heating. It would be nice to have the bedrooms a little cooler and be able to watch the flames. The fireplace only has an opening about 24 1/2" high by about 36" wide. It is about 26" deep. Does anyone know of a short efficient gas stove that I could install? I looked at an insert by Napoleon that was open on two sides but I would prefer a stove. I was wishing that someone made one low enough that I could even put a teapot on it but that is unlikely. The Jotul Nordic looked promising but I see where they stopped making it about a year ago. The floor of the fireplace is about 3" lower than the hearth which adds a little more height but I am still stuck with the 24 1/2' opening height.

First, if you are burning unvented Gas Logs, you should be getting plenty of heat along with other stuff. Are you sure the fire place isn't vented? Is it a site-built or factory-built unit? Have you checked to see if any Jotul dealers in you area still have a DV100 Nordic? You should be able to get one for a song...

The fireplace was built at the time of the house and isn't vented. I think more hot air goes up the chimney than what it puts out. We keep the glass doors shut all the time but open the vents and damper when burning it. I haven't been able to find a Nordic locally. I am surprised that no one makes a stove for low fireplaces.

The fireplace was built at the time of the house and isn't vented. I think more hot air goes up the chimney than what it puts out. We keep the glass doors shut all the time but open the vents and damper when burning it. I haven't been able to find a Nordic locally. I am surprised that no one makes a stove for low fireplaces.

The chimney IS the vent. The stoves that will work have to be mounted IN FRONT of your existing fire place.

Status
Not open for further replies.