Looking for a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
Years ago (70's/early 80's) we had a wood splitter that we rented out in our hardware store and I would love to find an old one either working or not. It was made by Piqua engineering in Piqua, Ohio and the brand name was Lickety Splitter. That thing was bullet proof and I think there has to be one laying around that is in need of repair or is dying a slow death of non use.
Send me a pm if you know where one might be or have one you'd like to get rid of. The model we had was powered by an 8HP Kohler and had a 30" stroke with spring return. Seems like it was an EK-308 or something like that.

Are you for real? We are supposed to believe this story? Is it me?

gzecc said:

Last time I checked I was definitely for real.

What in particular about my question/story did you find so hard to believe my good man?

I would like to find one of those old splitters and restore or refurbish it because to this day I have not run across a unit that could split as fast or was as bulletproof as that old Lickety.

There is a lot to be said for bulletproof. I see them go by here on CL fairly often. If they are operational, people want upwards of a grand for them, non-operational they still want 500. Not sure if they ever sell them.

SolarAndWood said:
There is a lot to be said for bulletproof. I see them go by here on CL fairly often. If they are operational, people want upwards of a grand for them, non-operational they still want 500. Not sure if they ever sell them.

They were expensive even way back in the day. IIRC, wholesale on the one we bought for rental was around $1600 and that was 1978-79.

SolarAndWood said:

If you ever see one would you send me a PM? Thanks
I have 4 kids all burning wood and we could use a good durable splitter like those old things were.

Sure no problem.

heater...if ya are lookin for a splitter built like a tank,,,look up the Timberwolf splitters. They are solid as solid can be. Expensive, but higher quality then the splitters ya get in the big box stores. I guess ya get what ya pay for sometimes,,,,i'm just sayin.

heaterman said:
gzecc said:

Last time I checked I was definitely for real.

What in particular about my question/story did you find so hard to believe my good man?

I would like to find one of those old splitters and restore or refurbish it because to this day I have not run across a unit that could split as fast or was as bulletproof as that old Lickety.
I thought it was like going on a tractor site and asking if anyone has a deere 318 that they don't want anymore.
Its probably me. I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.