LOOKING FOR A STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOUG58

Apr 12, 2011
SOUTHEASTERN PA
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I've been looking for a pellet stove on craigslist and a friend directed me to this websight. What a great sight theres lots of info and seemingly alot of people willing to help out. I have a 2500 square foot house on three levels and right now I have a heat pump more like a money pump!! if you know what I mean. I was wondering what size stove I would need and it seems some stoves have an ash pan and some dont it seems it would be a mess to clean one without the ash pan can anybody give their opinion on this thanks

Once again I have to chime in now that I see you are in SE Pa. Think coal, not pellets. That's the only way you're going to get close to heating 3 levels. www.readingstove.com is one place but there are other stokers made in the area. http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/ and www.keystoker.com in Schuylkill Haven

I'll ask my brother in law which one he is using. He gets his coal from Tamaqua in his pickup. Before I moved to Ga, I got my coal there too. If you have a Merchandiser, I think they advertise in there. Harman also makes coal burners. The modern stokers have no shaker grates to make a mess. They feed just like a bottom feeding pellet stoves. A lot more btu's output and it's cheaper overall.

Rice coal can be purchased dust free with an oil solution that is sprayed on at the coal breaker.

Doug, welcome to the forum. Yes, there are many knowledgeable, helpful members here. However, a number of factors need to be addressed in your situation:

-What is your TOTAL budget for the stove, pipe, install, pellets, etc.?

-How much of the house do you REALISTICALLY want to heat with the stove? IMO, it will be very hard to heat all three levels.....these stoves are room heaters, and while some people can get them to heat other areas with fans, convection, or luck, it isn't a sure thing.

-What stove brands are available in your area, either on CL or at dealers? Even dealers occasionally sell floor models, or take "trade-ins" that they refurbish & sell at a decent price.

Also, be aware that most stove owners on this forum are very "loyal" to their brands, and you will get many responses that theirs is "the only one to get!". Actually, there are MANY good brands out there.

Lastly, also be aware that a LOT of stoves that get listed on CL are from owners that either couldn't figure out how to run them properly, didn't realize that they require regular cleaning & maintenance and then wondered why the stove stopped working or performed poorly, or the stove has broken/worn out parts that need replacing. In any of these scenarios, the stoves usually need major cleanings & maintenance to get them running properly. Also, any stove off of CL will have NO warranty, AFAIK.....you'll be on your own.

Hope this helps.

welcome! 2500 sq ft.....I would suggest the Harman P-68 or the Enviro Maxx

Status
Not open for further replies.