looking for a vigilant V.C. am I wrong (newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDogYooper

Jun 5, 2016
U.P. michigan
Hello, new to site, but have been reading quite a few posts lately.
Have burned wood 3-4 yrs but only with a terrible stove, I just bought another house with a very old stove (monster) in house (1100sf), its a old cast iron stove called FARGO it leaks so bad all you can use it for is a sauna, its not worth trying to make anything out of it.
Have wanted a top load forever and have narrowed it down to a older VIGILANT, my main concerns:::
1. want to be able to regulate the heat down for night burns.
2. hope to be decent on wood usage.

Please give any opinions if I"am wrong about a Vigilant (if I can find 1 in decent useable shape)

The venerable old Vigilant was a good heater, but by this time they are showing their age. Finding one that doesn't need work is getting hard. For 1100 sq ft you might also look for a Resolute or a good condition Hearthstone II, or Jotul F118 or Lange 6302. FWIW, I have had top and front loaders and don't mind front loading at all. Actually I've grown to like and appreciate efficient KISS stoves a lot.

The venerable old Vigilant was a good heater, but by this time they are showing their age. Finding one that doesn't need work is getting hard. For 1100 sq ft you might also look for a Resolute or a good condition Hearthstone II, or Jotul F118 or Lange 6302. FWIW, I have had top and front loaders and don't mind front loading at all. Actually I've grown to like and appreciate efficient KISS stoves a lot.
begreen, hello and thanks, I agree finding a vigilant thats not wore out might be tough, but I have wanted a top load for years (kinda a bucket list thing), but I"am open to your options if someone has one reasonbly close to me, Thanks Larry
But wich ever one I get it needs to adjust down to not burn me out and have overnight burn time.

If you're handy, Vigilants are not that hard to rebuild. Just look for some version of the Vig. 1, not the 2. They just age better. And, there is should you need it, an entire rebuild kit (w instructions) still available. Woodmans Parts Plus has all that stuff, so maybe look into the cost and see if it seems reasonable to you.

If you're handy, Vigilants are not that hard to rebuild. Just look for some version of the Vig. 1, not the 2. They just age better. And, there is should you need it, an entire rebuild kit (w instructions) still available. Woodmans Parts Plus has all that stuff, so maybe look into the cost and see if it seems reasonable to you.
yes I agree, but finding 1 thats not warped and cracked is tough, would be silly to buy a 25yr old cast iron stove and not rebuild it before installing it, has to leak everywhere, and when adding about 3-500 hundred for stove and about $500 to rebuild does not seem feasable to me, I think I may just buy a new TN20 by true north for $1000.
thanks for response tho.

I have one sitting that I just took out, in decent shape for its age, everything works on it, no noticeable warps or cracks. Even has every accessory, warming racks, mitten holder fireplace screen.
I would recommend a rebuild just to reseal it. But to get it from NY to MI wouldn't make it cost effective for you I am sure lol

I have one sitting that I just took out, in decent shape for its age, everything works on it, no noticeable warps or cracks. Even has every accessory, warming racks, mitten holder fireplace screen.
I would recommend a rebuild just to reseal it. But to get it from NY to MI wouldn't make it cost effective for you I am sure lol
OH, you mean you wont drop it off????? thanks for replying tho...

Freight shipping might be worth it if the price is right.

begreen, theres a woodstock fairview 205 for sale 100 miles from me, but he wants too much for it $1500. says thats his bottom dollar, says he paid 4K for it, I told him I can buy a new today for 2495.
Dont now year yet, but at his price it doesnt matter, till he gets to thinking better.

$1700 is about what the Fireview sold for 6 yrs ago. They have had annual price hikes since then. If the stove is in excellent condition with a good catalyst that is <3 yrs old, then $1200 would be a decent price for one that is 6-8 yrs old. If the stove is <4yrs old and the stove is in great shape, then the $1500 price may be quite reasonable. It would save freight costs, but lack the warranty and return policy.

Last edited:
$1700 is about what the Fireview sold for 6 yrs ago. They have had annual price hikes since then. If the stove is in excellent condition with a good catalyst that is <3 yrs old, then $1200 would be a decent price for one that is 6-8 yrs old. If the stove is <4yrs old and the stove is in great shape, then the $1500 price may be quite reasonable. It would save freight costs, but lack the warranty and return policy.
just bought that true north TN20 this morning, decent looking stove.

Congratulations! Keep us posted on the install and operation. If you can you might want to break it in outdoors. Otherwise, open windows and use a fan to exhaust fumes as the paint bakes in.

sure will begreen, put it in today will go and get a couple pipe pieces tomorrow, might not get it fired up for 3-4 months, BUT I"M READY.
after burning it will report on how it works..

Status
Not open for further replies.