Looking for a Wifi Capable Thermostat with wired occupancy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
I currently use a thermostat with occupancy control so I only need one thermostat for my 1st floor zone to control both wood and oil boilers. This has worked great except for when I want to adjust a setting for either the wood or oil temp it is cumbersome and confusing.

I want the ability to adjust the temperature now remotely but I still need the occupancy control.

Anyone familiar with a thermostat with both of those capabilities? Ive searched and any wifi ones ive found do not mention occupancy control.

Thanks

~ Phil

Hi I have looked at that one but the manual makes no mention of using it with an occupy control and the description of each pinout on it does not indicate its supported either. Most stats use pins CK1 and CK2 for occupy control which it does not have these pins.

Thanks

~ Phil

mpilihp...

Are you looing for a Wi-Fi t-stat with built in motion (occupancy) sensor or are you trying to connect said sensor to a Wi-Fi t-stat?

mpilihp...

Are you looing for a Wi-Fi t-stat with built in motion (occupancy) sensor or are you trying to connect said sensor to a Wi-Fi t-stat?

Hi, I am looking to upgrade to a WiFi capable thermostat but it needs to have the wired occupancy control. A stat with this capability has two temperature settings, Occupied and Unoccupied. Occupy temp is set higher 75 for when the wood boiler is running and Unoccupy 55 deg for when the oil boiler is running. When the wood boiler is running a relay closes the CK1 and CK2 contacts in the STAT changing the mode from unoccupy to occupy. Works great except I now want to be able to change the temp setting for the oil boiler remotely to allow turning it up occasionally when we are travelilng home to pre-warm the house some adn then set it back down to 55.

With this setup you only need one STAT for the zone to control both wood boiler and backup system.

Appears the occupy function is going away in modern stats.

Hi, I am looking to upgrade to a WiFi capable thermostat but it needs to have the wired occupancy control. A stat with this capability has two temperature settings, Occupied and Unoccupied. Occupy temp is set higher 75 for when the wood boiler is running and Unoccupy 55 deg for when the oil boiler is running. When the wood boiler is running a relay closes the CK1 and CK2 contacts in the STAT changing the mode from unoccupy to occupy. Works great except I now want to be able to change the temp setting for the oil boiler remotely to allow turning it up occasionally when we are travelilng home to pre-warm the house some adn then set it back down to 55.

With this setup you only need one STAT for the zone to control both wood boiler and backup system.

Appears the occupy function is going away in modern stats.

I have a Venstar and you may be able to do this with it. I have mine wired in with a remote sensor in the basement that can kick on the heat if it drops to a certain setpoint.

It also has really good wifi capabilities.

Here is the description of he sensor.

Indoor Sensor ACC0401
The remote indoor temperature sensor with override button offers the user ability to change to Occupied mode for after hours heating or cooling.

www.venstar.com

Hi thanks, ive looked at it but cannot tell from the online info exactly what it can do. So Im curious, does it have different temp setting for Occupied vs Unoccupied?

Is the temp sensor digial or analog? My though is if its analog I could try faking it out with a couple resistor loops on it one being when the wood boiler is off and one when its on so the stat will change between occupied and unoccupied to adjust the temp control.

Thanks
~ Phil

Did some reading on the sensor, appears its digital, I do like this STAT, I guess Ill have to re-wire and have two different stats one for each boiler so I can use wireless remote control..

Thanks

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.