Looking for a wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gandalf

Feb 10, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I am planning to have a wood boiler installed for the upcoming heating season. Our existing oil-fired boiler heats water for our radiators and domestic use. Ideally, I would like to have a wood gasifier boiler with oil backup capability. Instead of firing with wood during the summer, I would probably let it use the oil backup for domestic hot water. In the summer, I prefer cool (or all cold, all the way, baby! :)) showers anyway. Our hot water needs during the summer are minimal. Another thought was to install a wood-only boiler (with domestic coil) and a tankless natural gas-fired water heater (domestic hot water only; used when not firing with wood). One concern about a wood-only boiler with no backup heat source is that it would limit our winter travel (think frozen pipes) and it wouldn't be a selling point if/when we decide to sell our place.
I'm considering leaving our oil-fired boiler installed and install a second, add-on wood boiler, though I'd rather not give up the additional space. I was also under the impression I would need separate flues for the installed oil boiler and an add-on wood boiler. I mentioned this to a friend that has some experience with heating. He indicated that a separate flue isn't mandatory, but that the flue needs to be sized properly for all appliances connected.

So, does anyone have a good source for a used wood boiler (optionally a gasifier) with oil backup?
I'm watching this boiler, not sure what to think.
Responses to the thoughts on single appliance per flue?
General thoughts?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Properly operated gasifiers burn very clean, so technically it's possible to share a flue with an OB. However, you will most likely have problems with the local inspector/fire dept; and, if you get past that, your insurance company would probably cast a veto. Check this out before making any plans. Assuming that sharing a flue is a no-go, power venting the OB is one possible alternative to installing a second flue. You definitely want a backup heat source - keeping your current OB probably makes the most sense, unless it's on the way out. There are some gaser/oil combi boilers, but they typically don't get high marks due to a lower quality OB (I don't know anything about the Simplex bolier in your post). You will probably not have much luck finding a quality used gasifier in good shape. Have you done a heat loss calc, in order to determine the boiler size you will need? Also, do you have a good (i.e. year) supply of well-seasoned wood? Gasers don't like unseasoned wood, and those of us who muddled through the first year with wood not fully seasoned, will tell you to avoid doing that if at all possible. Good luck with it!

Our oil boiler was on it's last days when we replaced it. We only have one flue and thought about the power vent but I've read too many negatives on them. I knew we needed a back up to wood as we leave the house for long weekends in winter. While it's true that most likely the oil efficiency is not the greatest on a combo boiler it really doesn't come into play much with us as we use the oil side so little. We probably burned only about 20 gallons last year.

As mentioned, be sure sharing the flue does not pose problems with your insurance carrier. No code or insurance problems for us and thus far it's worked out fine.

Well, I'm disappointed I missed this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130597894081. I was ready to make an offer (higher than the offer that the seller accepted), but didn't think the seller would seriously consider my offer, so I didn't submit one! Anyway, I was able to pick up an older J∅tul (see signature) and vent it through my fireplace flue. So far, it's been an excellent secondary source of heat. The OB is only running to heat domestic water, but we've had a mild fall and winter (so far). Still like the idea of a combo wood/oil boiler like the Benjamin CC500. Our house already has radiators (more even heating) and it would keep the dirt in the basement.

In my area insurance companies I have spoken with will not insure a residence with a wood only heat source because of the claims risks of frozen pipes incase the fire goes out. I don't know how it is in your area but I would check out their position before I tried to go to a wood only heat source.

gandalf said:
Well, I'm disappointed I missed this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130597894081. I was ready to make an offer (higher than the offer that the seller accepted), but didn't think the seller would seriously consider my offer, so I didn't submit one! Anyway, I was able to pick up an older J∅tul (see signature) and vent it through my fireplace flue. So far, it's been an excellent secondary source of heat. The OB is only running to heat domestic water, but we've had a mild fall and winter (so far). Still like the idea of a combo wood/oil boiler like the Benjamin CC500. Our house already has radiators (more even heating) and it would keep the dirt in the basement.
$1800 for a non gasser seems kind of steep. You need to be real careful with those to avoid chimney fires. Check with Wood Gun as they have reconditioned gasification units at times. The stainless steel models are nice although the carbon steel ones will last a long time also./// That is not the last combo boiler that seller will have, he has sold many, Randy

Cave2k said:
In my area insurance companies I have spoken with will not insure a residence with a wood only heat source because of the claims risks of frozen pipes incase the fire goes out. I don't know how it is in your area but I would check out their position before I tried to go to a wood only heat source.

I dont see what difference that makes. What if the elec. goes out. If you have elec or forced air your pipes may freeze. Do
they insure people that use elec. for heat ? You could allways use kerosene or portable elec. heaters in an emergency.

gandalf said:
I am planning to have a wood boiler installed for the upcoming heating season. Our existing oil-fired boiler heats water for our radiators and domestic use. Ideally, I would like to have a wood gasifier boiler with oil backup capability.
General thoughts?

Thank you!

A gasification boiler will give you peace of mind compared to a non-gasifier. As an example in the late 70s, our second wood boiler - a 90,000 BTU cast iron downdrafter - produced liquid creosote when operated in standby mode and later, even when connected to a 1000 gallon storage tank, again still made creosote in the chimney that could not be brushed. The brush would just turn into a ball of tar. I became an expert in twice weekly small and quick chimney fires! In the early 80s, we installed our gasification boiler. It burns about half the wood and the chimney never needs to be cleaned but just to make our insurance company happy, I run a brush through it once a year!

Your tankless water heater also makes sense. We also had a back-up oil boiler with a tankless coil. I connected an hour meter to the burner motor and discovered that the burner ran 3 1/2 hours a day to maintain the boiler at standby temperature . This little test was done over a three day period when there was no draw for either domestic or house heat.

woodsmaster said:
I dont see what difference that makes. What if the elec. goes out. If you have elec or forced air your pipes may freeze. Do
they insure people that use elec. for heat ? You could allways use kerosene or portable elec. heaters in an emergency.

Not to mention that if my electric goes, my oil boiler won't be firing!

What about something like this?

http://www.varmebaronen.com/html/biomax_vedpanna_pelletspanna_k.html

I only bring that up since you are relatively close to Smokeless Heat. They are in Lebanon, PA.

I know its not oil, but pellets would let you leave the house for a while, or maybe its possible to replace the pellet head with an oil gun instead. But it looks like it only uses one flue. Im sure this will definitely not be the cheapest option, but one that might work for you.

I have passive storage, and my oil furnace is hooked up as backup with a Johnson setpoint controller. I set it around 110 in the summer and 135 in the winter, but I stay on top of the wood boiler enough that the oil furnace rarely kicks in. When it does, though, it works just fine, and I already had the oil furnace when I bought the wood boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.