Looking for a wood splitter and wedge - suggestions, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not completely true. I have split some stuff with my big boy that would have puked a 20/22 ton unit. But I will agree that for the vast percentage they do a fine job.

The other thing about the high tonnage units is that you don't have to consider or think about log placement. Just put it up there and split it.

LOL, that is a good thought. I don't know much about the different units and have been reading up on this thread since I was the OP. My husband wanted a 4 way wedge and folks seem to be of the thinking that you cannot use a wedge with a 22 ton unit hence the continued back and forth of the 22 or higher tonnage unit. I'd love to just go with a 22 because we really don't need to spend a ton of money on the splitter - however, the wedge could be a deal breaker...I'm not sure.

I just (as in, last night) picked up a 22t huskee and a4 way wedge for it. I can't imagine the wedge hurting. Besides, it's easy enough to take it in and off, use it for the easier stuff, then when you get to the more knotty stuff you can take it off and continue.

I frequently suggest the 20/22 ton range as a very usable size range. It will get the job done on 99% of the stuff you throw at it (as an average homeowner). They are great bang for your buck units.

If you start wanting other things, say 4 way wedge or log lift then you are probably looking at a more robust unit. Also, it does depend on your fuel source to some degree. If your fuel is fence row elm from the middle of corn fields - different thing. If you deal with big stuff, say 40+ inch stuff - its a different thing.

Exhibit A:
big1sm.jpg

Edit: Bmblank - I will be interested in how that 4 way works with your unit. Consider a "review" down the road after you get some time on it.

Here's a link to the splitter we have: http://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/16-ton-ram-splitter-horizontal-electric-log-splitter/

It's a compact unit, can be moved about easily with a lawn buggy. What I especially like about it, it fits through the utility room door, Can store it inside when it's not being used.

I have the gas version of this one with a Honda engine. I laugh when I see these 27 ton splitters. This 16 ton unit will split anything that I can get onto the beam unless it is a complete gnarled mess. It works great. And its built strong.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Ask around glover, I am not sure if the big general store is still around (I hope it is ) but you may be able to work out to borrow one locally or many trade some time working with someone. There used to be store with a small pizza place out by one of the lakes that also would be good place to get the word out. Realistically for 5 cords you can crank that out in day if the wood is all cut so it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy something you use one day a year plus its good way to meet the locals.

I have the gas version of this one with a Honda engine. I laugh when I see these 27 ton splitters. This 16 ton unit will split anything that I can get onto the beam unless it is a complete gnarled mess. It works great. And its built strong.
When you have a 30ton plus unit it doesn't matter if the log is a gnarled mess... 4 way wedge or not.

Id rather have a slightly slower cycle if it means the difference between leaving the 4 way on all the time... You get more done each cycle.

I don't laugh at the 22 tsc splitter. I just shake my head at how wimpy they look ;)

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Anyways - thanks for suggestions and help. I think we'd like to buy this within the next month or so.

If you are going to process wood on your own, are you going to get logs delivered or do you have the land to cut your own trees? If you get logs delivered you can cut the cost per cord to about $100. A splitter and good 50cc or better Chainsaw will help. If you are planning on felling your own trees you need to think about transporting logs or rounds.

+1 for the Troy-bilt 27 ton with the Honda engine. Got it at Lowes for $1399 with 18 mos 0% financing. I would've bought the 22 ton Huskee but I try to avoid Briggs & Stratton engines. My mom has a Cub Cadet tractor with a B&S engine with just over 200 hrs on it and it blew up. Maybe a coincidence but I like to read a lot of reviews when spending my hard earned money and to me the Troy Bilt had better ones that I read. Seems they have Kohler engines now in the Huskee so I'd certainly consider it a little more if I were buying today. Just my .02

Edit: as far as cycle time most of the stuff I split I don't run the cylinder past half way so this isn't a huge deal for me (Ash, black walnut, maple and cherry mostly )

Last edited:
That's funny, my dad's splitter has a b&s that's gotta be 20 years old with nothing more than a carb rebuild. Still starts on the first pull. I have no issues with briggs.

That's funny, my dad's splitter has a b&s that's gotta be 20 years old with nothing more than a carb rebuild. Still starts on the first pull. I have no issues with briggs.

My Briggs on the 20 year old splitter had a carb problem. It might of had something to do with me dumping rounds out of the trailer and one monster oak round rolling downhill and stopping when it hit right on the end of the carb on the splitter engine breaking the carb in half. Five horse Briggs and the dealer was surprised that he had a $90 carb in stock. !!!

The Harbor Freight Chicom replacement engine was $99. When I forgot to drain the carb on it one year and it plugged up a whole new carb for it was $14 on eBay. Shipping included. Cheaper than a bucket of carb cleaner and ten minutes to replace.

The only reason for a higher tonnage is because of the want to use a 4 way wedge. That's pretty much it.

I can see that, but the point of the 4-way is to save time, which is what the shorter cycle time also does. The question is going to be which saves more time.

How big do you want your splits? You can often do a 4-way with smaller rounds without a 4-way wedge -- just leave the split together and turn it so that with 2 strokes you get 4 splits. If you take a look at this video, at a little before 2:45 (and at 3:15, too) you can see the fellow splitting a small round in half, and then using two more cycles to make quarters -- he could easily have made quarters in one stroke rather than two!!

Maybe I should have been more specific and said newer Briggs. I have one on a pressure washer thats probably 15 yrs old and still runs well. Ironic part is the B&S engine series on the tractor is ELS-500 which stands for extended life series. I read of more than a few of these having issues. Remember this is just my opinion, ymmv

Another vote for the Huskee 22 ton, very well built machine, fairly priced.

I just (as in, last night) picked up a 22t huskee and a4 way wedge for it. I can't imagine the wedge hurting. Besides, it's easy enough to take it in and off, use it for the easier stuff, then when you get to the more knotty stuff you can take it off and continue.
Yes please let us know what you think of the 4 way wedge, I was considering one but I'm not sure it is necessary for me, medium size rounds can be split into 4 pieces with 2 passes, that's enough for me for now.....good luck and have fun with it, I love mine......

I have a 4 way head for my splitter. I don't use it. It tends to make make gnarly splits. If I use the single wedge I get cleaner pieces.

The only trouble I have with my Briggs is no choke and starting when cold. I try to keep it in the garage where warm. It is kind of noisy, but a fair trade-off for price paid. Honda's, yamaha's and Subaru's sure do start nice and are quiet and long lived.

I really haven't had that many problems with Brigg's and Stratton ever and I think the quality has stayed the same. The intek on the tiller is great, the vert on the splitter is ok, but I think the Honda's are just better made - and cost more. For commercial use a Honda is worth it for long life and down time, but for my backyard and pocketbook I am ok with briggs.

I have heard mixed reviews about Kohler. Really like Kohlers back in the cast iron line days. They have a good design, but had some carb issues the last few years.

The only trouble I have with my Briggs is no choke and starting when cold. I try to keep it in the garage where warm. It is kind of noisy, but a fair trade-off for price paid. Honda's, yamaha's and Subaru's sure do start nice and are quiet and long lived.

I really haven't had that many problems with Brigg's and Stratton ever and I think the quality has stayed the same. The intek on the tiller is great, the vert on the splitter is ok, but I think the Honda's are just better made - and cost more. For commercial use a Honda is worth it for long life and down time, but for my backyard and pocketbook I am ok with briggs.

I have heard mixed reviews about Kohler. Really like Kohlers back in the cast iron line days. They have a good design, but had some carb issues the last few years.
I've been using B&S engines ever since I started cutting grass and never had a problem with them throughout my life, I come on here and that's all you hear about when their name comes up in the conversation.......

I frequently suggest the 20/22 ton range as a very usable size range. It will get the job done on 99% of the stuff you throw at it (as an average homeowner). They are great bang for your buck units.

If you start wanting other things, say 4 way wedge or log lift then you are probably looking at a more robust unit. Also, it does depend on your fuel source to some degree. If your fuel is fence row elm from the middle of corn fields - different thing. If you deal with big stuff, say 40+ inch stuff - its a different thing.

Exhibit A:
View attachment 134017

Edit: Bmblank - I will be interested in how that 4 way works with your unit. Consider a "review" down the road after you get some time on it.

With a log that size, it looks like you need outriggers to get it up using the log lift!!

Speaking of, does that have 2 cylinders doing the work on the lift or just one?

And just out of curiosity, it looks like there's a wench on the splitter. What's that for?

Ask around glover, I am not sure if the big general store is still around (I hope it is ) but you may be able to work out to borrow one locally or many trade some time working with someone. There used to be store with a small pizza place out by one of the lakes that also would be good place to get the word out. Realistically for 5 cords you can crank that out in day if the wood is all cut so it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy something you use one day a year plus its good way to meet the locals.

They still do have the general store there, it is right at the bottom of the road we live off of.

So, I think at this point we are leaning towards the 22t at the TSC. I'll watch for some deals on it. My husband plans on getting at least 8 cords of wood this year. We actually do have wood we can cut on our property but we won't start doing that this year - heck, I'm not even living up there yet which is one of the reasons why. But, we will start cutting our own wood more than likely next year. 8 cords would cost us a solid 1600 but if we get just the logs it's about 100 a cord - so 800 plus a log splitter....makes it worth it down the road for sure. We've got a great chain saw that has blasted through everything so that's covered.....

I'll let you know when he makes the leap to see what we finally did. In the meantime, feel free to continue offering suggestions, etc.

Just wanted to give an update after all the suggestions here. Wound up going with the TSC log splitter. It is a Country Line 22 ton with Kohler engine. Split about 2/3 cords of wood with it so far - works really great! Glad we took everyone's suggestion and stuck with the 22. Seems like it should be able to handle everything.

Just wanted to give an update after all the suggestions here. Wound up going with the TSC log splitter. It is a Country Line 22 ton with Kohler engine. Split about 2/3 cords of wood with it so far - works really great! Glad we took everyone's suggestion and stuck with the 22. Seems like it should be able to handle everything.
Glad to hear it, I don't think you will be sorry for this purchase....

How do you like it so far.....

Husky 22ton is a good budget one about a $1000 or so. Son in law has one about 8 years old and he's always lending it out so it's probably seen about 24 years in use. ha ha Anyways only real prob he had was the muffler broke and he couldn't get the studs out of the engine block. The buddy he had to try to drill them out screwed them up etc. On a new one I def replace the studs with stronger metal ones and put anti sieze on them when putting them into engine before using. At least take em out and anti seize them when new. He ran it like 2 years with no muffler untill he couldn't take it any more and replaced the engine with a Chi Com model (Honda clone) for like $150 works fine still.

Status
Not open for further replies.