Looking for advice about stacking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
I've posted on this forum from time to time. This is my second year burning wood and I am still a novice. I realize that by not cutting, splitting and stacking all year round I am limiting my potential wood collection, but I have already started the process here in February (last year I didn't really get going until May).

I have collected downed branches and trees from around my two wooded acres and I have even used Craigslist to track down some free wood and bring it back to my house. Most recently I obtained a few pallets so that I can start making organized wood stacks.

My question is where, specifically, I should stack my wood? Last year I made a whole "wood processing area" in the grove of giant pine trees and stacked all the wood between the tree trunks. That worked alright and looked good, too. I may go ahead and do this again this summer, but I look to process at least twice as much wood this year and want to put the pallet wood piles somewhere that they will season nicely but also look okay (or out of sight). I have attached a diagram of my property and will gladly accept any suggestions as to where to place my pile. (north is the top of the image). Thanks!

Attachments

• HouseDiagram.jpg
    HouseDiagram.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 224
Between the pines is okay, but not the best. Wind and sun dry wood, so I would assume the stacks will get some wind but be full or partial shade. The other problem with stacking under pines is that they drop a lot of needles that will collect on your piles and in between your wood. This will hold moisture and cause decay. If you do continue to stack there I would suggest a top cover.

Between the pines is okay, but not the best. Wind and sun dry wood, so I would assume the stacks will get some wind but be full or partial shade. The other problem with stacking under pines is that they drop a lot of needles that will collect on your piles and in between your wood. This will hold moisture and cause decay. If you do continue to stack there I would suggest a top cover.

Thank you. Would some kind of corrugated plastic or tin do the job for a cover?

This is one of my pine firewood stacks. I started with a row between the two trees. Then I started stacking both up and down hill from them using the initial stack as a buttress. Been here for 5 or 6 years.

This is all cut dead and dried splits. There is as small amount of Ponderosa Pine needles falling every year, but big pine needles do not pack together or rot the wood.
100_1269.JPG

Reactions: EPS and Longstreet
I would suggest some more air gap between the rows and get it off the ground at a minimum

Wind and sun are your friends.

How much can you fit south of compost heap, just under the tree canopy to keep the worst of the rain off, but with good morning sun exposure and possible AM winds?

I would suggest some more air gap between the rows and get it off the ground at a minimum
This is completely totally dry when cut and split. No need to have an air gap. It is off the ground, using cull cedar fence boards. They last forever. We are however, in a very dry climate.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good" (enough)

100_1520.JPG

Sorry I couldn't see the cullboards in the previous pic. I like to have more of an air gap under my stacks so the ground moisture doesn't penetrate the bottom row. Not a dry climate here

What about a lean to shed on the south side of the garage? Should be easy to build off the existing structure and great access to the rear of the house. Season under the pines and move to the shed when ready.

How much room do you have to the north of those pine trees? You could start stacking on pallets to the north of those pines and your stacks will be out in the open, with sun and wind hitting your stacks. IMO that may work..

What about a lean to shed on the south side of the garage? Should be easy to build off the existing structure and great access to the rear of the house. Season under the pines and move to the shed when ready.
I am leaning this way right now. I should mention, however, that this part of the property is particularly damp. There is very little grass, mainly moss growing around there so I'd be worried about that hindering the drying process (at the very least).

How much room do you have to the north of those pine trees? You could start stacking on pallets to the north of those pines and your stacks will be out in the open, with sun and wind hitting your stacks. IMO that may work..

There is room as before we bought the house there was a woodshed in this spot. Unfortunately a tree had fallen on it (irony!) irreparably smashing the roof. My wife and I have pretty much decided to put something there, like a gazebo, in the future so I would hate to take the time to build up wood piles. Thank you for the suggestion.

Wind and sun are your friends.

How much can you fit south of compost heap, just under the tree canopy to keep the worst of the rain off, but with good morning sun exposure and possible AM winds?

I believe this is where I will end up making the woodpiles for long-range seasoning. Being on the top of a hill that gets direct sun for at least six hours a day and a good breeze coming from the lake across the way, it might be the best place for such a project. Thank you for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.