looking for advice on auger squeal and more....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronnoel

Dec 12, 2010
southernct
I been dealing with this darn auger squeal for weeks now and I can only get it to stop for a short time, maybe it's good for 8-12 hours. I've cleaned the stove, scraped all carbon, taken out slide plate and vaced out, and watched auger motor turn to see if anything is touching. This morning I used some liquid wrench spray on all the moving parts of the auger motor, and ran on test mode, this seemed to stop the squeal, but I'm not sure it just won't come back. Does anyone else have to use spray to stop there squeal and has long term good results, or could it be that I may need a new auger motor.Also two other things.While I was doing a hot run of my stove two nights ago and last night I noticed that my flame had a green tint at the base of the flame, I've used only green bag energex this season and have never noticed before, I had my p68 on stove mode #5. Also the past two nights after running on it's hot burn for about 20min. or so when I try to turn off it won't turn off in it's normal off spot on the dial, I have to turn the dial to the space between off and room mode, when it's in off spot dis. blower light stays on and feeder won't stop, stayed on 1 hour before I moved dail and noticed light for dis. blower light turn off' the dial not being near the off spot to turn off has never happened before on this unit but has the last two nights. Any thoughts on any of this? Thanks

My squeal did not happen on test mode with stove off. Only after running about 1/2 hour did it come back. Ended up being auger motor. The tech removed it, and you could hear it squeak when you put slight finger pressure on the shaft. Once you remove the motor you can spin the auger shaft and check for noise. All done with hot stove. Just an idea. Good luck... Interested how you make out..

The squeel is most likely coming from the bearings in the auger motor. The dust loves to collect on the motors and dry out the bearings. The Dist. blower light will not turn off until the ESP reaches below 160 degrees. It stays on to cool off the stove during shutdown. The auger will still pulse from time to time so the fire will not make its way into the auger tube. When you turn the knob to the OFF position, Keep an eye on the status light. If the status light goes out than the stove is in shut down mode. I wouldnt be suprised if the stove takes over an hour to shut off after it has been running on 5 pounds an hour on stove temp. If the knob is a bit touchy then try some compressed air electronics cleaner. Some dust may be causing the potentiometer to not make a clean contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.