Looking for advice on purchasing a Dutch West 2479

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elacoop

Dec 6, 2013
boston
Hello, my husband and I are looking into purchasing a used Dutch West 2479 from a trusted friend for our 1000 square foot ranch home. I have been doing some research over concern that the stove may be too large for our home. We live in New England and the winters are cold. The stove is it good for 1000 to 2400 sq ft. Most that I have read leads me to believe the stove will be ok because of the region we are in. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

No comment on sizing, but I was looking at Dutchwest a year or two ago, as their 246x series is one of the only cast iron catalytic stove options on the market. However, I read so many bad reviews of Dutchwest in general, that I chose to go with Jotul.

Just Googling Dutchwest 2479, the first hit is this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/dutchwest-2479-worst-stove-ever.39640/

Pretty sure that's a non cat stove, but still, Jotuls are way more reliable in general than the Dutchwests. Really, if you're not gonna have top loading, why have all the moving parts and expensive fancy 2ndary burn assemblies? Basic baffle and air tube gets it done nicely. Keep looking. Yeah, it's too big anyway.

Yep... OP was looking at a non-cat model. Didn't intend to imply otherwise, but good to point out, in case he missed that.

It's a neverburn stove. Pass on it. You don't need this headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.