Looking for Advice on Purchasing a New Gas Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 29, 2015
Massachusetts
Greetings -

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new gas fireplace insert. My goal is to warm up a room in my home that otherwise doesn't get much use during the Fall/Winter season. The room is approximately 350 square feet that's part of an open structure lay-out, which has its own traditional, vented fireplace.

The primary source for heat in this room comes from adjacent pellet stoves, but as mentioned I'm looking to boost the comfort level in this room a bit by adding a gas insert.

My preliminary research shows inserts that run the gamut in terms of cost and sophistication. In this case, it doesn't have to break the bank. Safety and reliability are key though.

Have you considered a small gas STOVE instead of an insert?
Sometimes that look can be more aesthetically pleasing, without
compromising the functionality...
Either way, take the measurements of your fireplace opening,
enter them in the guide below & go to
your local hearth shop & see what they have.
Once you pick an option, somebody here may be able
to guide you better.

Attachments

• Fireplace Measurement Tool.pdf
    834.4 KB · Views: 123
Have you considered a small gas STOVE instead of an insert?
Sometimes that look can be more aesthetically pleasing, without
compromising the functionality...
Either way, take the measurements of your fireplace opening,
enter them in the guide below & go to
your local hearth shop & see what they have.
Once you pick an option, somebody here may be able
to guide you better.
Thanks for your input, but I'm not sure that I have the space to accommodate a gas stove.