Looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucksandreds

Aug 31, 2016
Ohio
hello, I have a masonry fireplace and am looking for a wood burning insert for supplemental/fun fires. I was given a quote for the loki 1250i for $1584 plus $550 for a custom cut 3 sided panel (what is that?) and $2180 labor. Is this a reasonable price? Not sure I even know what this panel is? Any advice is appreciated.also it would come with an uninsulated liner. Should I upgrade?

Last edited:
The panel might be a surround panel to cover opening around the insert. $2000 for labor sounds a lot but you didn't explain what the labor is including. You will need a liner for your chimney preferably insulated. As far as the stove goes you have to provide more info about the house. What style, square footage insulation etc.

The panel might be a surround panel to cover opening around the insert. $2000 for labor sounds a lot but you didn't explain what the labor is including. You will need a liner for your chimney preferably insulated. As far as the stove goes you have to provide more info about the house. What style, square footage insulation etc.

Labor is install into a an open masonry fireplace for a two story home. Home is large but fireplace is basically for weekend ambiance and not as primary heating source. Could I do a panel myself? $550 sounds like a lot. Is 1750i far superior to 1250i?

Thanks

If you are handy you could fabricate something. Or see if a welding shop could make you something. I think there were members who made some thing nice out of a copper. I have no expireience with any of them. Looking at specs looks like the difference is its size. 1250i has a 1.6cf fire box and 1750i has 2.2cf fire box. I would go with 1750i for more fire power just in case if you need it. You didn't mention a liner so I assume there is no problem her in included in the price. If so its a robbery.

If you are handy you could fabricate something. Or see if a welding shop could make you something. I think there were members who made some thing nice out of a copper. I have no expireience with any of them. Looking at specs looks like the difference is its size. 1250i has a 1.6cf fire box and 1750i has 2.2cf fire box. I would go with 1750i for more fire power just in case if you need it. You didn't mention a liner so I assume there is no problem her in included in the price. If so its a robbery.
I'm don't understand your second to last sentence but I think the basic liner cost is added in with labor. So are you saying this is a robbery?

I assume the$2180 included the liner and the labor to install. Not bad if it was an insulated liner. I'd insist on an insulated liner by the way..
I would go with the 1750 because of the firebox size. The 1250 is too small to fit any reasonable sized wood in, if you purchase wood it will very difficult to find wood that fits. If you cut your own you can cut small though. Both are solid stoves.

Not sure how to post photos. Just got my second estimate from a competitor and it is clearer what is charged for what.

1250i. $1389

Trim $175

Fan $325

Insulated liner 30 ft. $1230

Shipping $165

Labor $1150

I like the way the 1250i looks flush compared to 1750i. Is 18 inch short wood?

Thanks for any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.