looking for advise on venting with single wall pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokeyTheBear said:
Hey Gio that sounds like a good ole FPE breakers to me.

Actually it was a Square D breaker (highly rated) . The owner sued the builder, the Square D distributor , me the electrical contractor , and Sq D. (Usual procedure to sue all involved)
Square D ended up paying the damages.
Regarding FPE breakers, they were the absolute worse , lost their UL aproval rating (?) back in the 60`-70`s (?) and were banned for years but finally re-entered the marketplace in the 90`s but at an exhorbitant price. I don`t think the circuit panels were ever available again. (to my knowledge)

Gio said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Actually it was a Square D breaker (highly rated) . The owner sued the builder, the Square D distributor , me the electrical contractor , and Sq D. (Usual procedure to sue all involved)
Regarding FPE breakers, they were the absolute worse , lost their UL aproval rating (?) back in the 60`-70`s (?) and were banned for years but finally re-entered the marketplace in the 90`s but at an exhorbitant price. I don`t think the circuit panels were ever available again. (to my knowledge)

Usually those Square D puppies are damn good.

What always got me a bit *issed was the head long flight to circuit breakers, simply because fuses can be easily bypassed. I guess they never figured that Jimmy Bob could take the panel cover off and put in an over sized breaker for the wire in the circuit. Nope, that'd never happen.

The last set of figures I saw estimated that in most breaker panels it was likely that at least one wouldn't work when needed. But that was sometime ago.

Excell said:
So I guess you guys are telling me that you will put these things in your house .leave it running while you are sleeping .But I should be afraid to leave it alone with my car . That doesn't make sens to me . I live in Canada and it is dam cold here . If you don't have heat in your garage it is useless for anything but parking . I would not how ever install single wall stone pipe for a vent . I also would not install it with out an out side air kit . I also have my stove on 18 in.high concrete pad ,part of the code .
to me this is as safe of a heat source as any thing else as long as it is installed correctly . That's my story and I'm sticking to it .

Gas fumes going in an open air intake does what again?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Gio said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Usually those Square D puppies are damn good.

What always got me a bit *issed was the head long flight to circuit breakers, simply because fuses can be easily bypassed. I guess they never figured that Jimmy Bob could take the panel cover off and put in an over sized breaker for the wire in the circuit. Nope, that'd never happen.

The last set of figures I saw estimated that in most breaker panels it was likely that at least one wouldn't work when needed. But that was sometime ago.

You got that right!
Circuit breakers are convenient, period. Their superiority ends there. Fuses always were a more reliable method to limit current draw.

I can fully understand the need/desire for heat in the garage, especially in the winter.

Using single wal pipe is a ready made road to disaster. Watch Craigs list and get some good 3 Inch double wall pellet pipe.

The possibility of having a fire due to items that could be spilled in the gagrage such as gasoline, solvents and such is a very real concern.

A few years ago the local Forde dealer burned to the ground because a mechanic was removing a fuel tank and some gasoline dribbled onto a hot light bulb in a trouble light and POOOOOF
The whole dealership went up and was a total loss.

If you are not keeping solvents, gasoline or such in the garage you shoule be fine but dont use single wall pipe.

Aslo dont do dusty stuff like carpentry/cabinetry that can ignite.

The biggy is of course flamable liquids.

Be safe

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
I can fully understand the need/desire for heat in the garage, especially in the winter.

Using single wal pipe is a ready made road to disaster. Watch Craigs list and get some good 3 Inch double wall pellet pipe.

The possibility of having a fire due to items that could be spilled in the gagrage such as gasoline, solvents and such is a very real concern.

A few years ago the local Forde dealer burned to the ground because a mechanic was removing a fuel tank and some gasoline dribbled onto a hot light bulb in a trouble light and POOOOOF
The whole dealership went up and was a total loss.

If you are not keeping solvents, gasoline or such in the garage you shoule be fine but dont use single wall pipe.

Aslo dont do dusty stuff like carpentry/cabinetry that can ignite.

The biggy is of course flamable liquids.

Be safe

Snowy

Ditto your comment above Snowy, and Goi's of flammable gasses above that. The thing is, you can never be sure of what will be stored or spilled in a garage by the current OR future users of the garage. A leaky gas tank is close proximity to the stove *might* be enough for a cause of cencern here. the typical John Doe isnt likely as diligent and Ecell with his solvents and/or leaks in his gas tank, and thats the reason for codes and regulations such as NFPA211. Im the first one, usually, to say something like "stop trying to protect me from myself", etc, but, truth be known, some folks DO need to be protected from themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.