Looking for affordable insert - thinking Drolet 1800i or PE Super

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

havermyer

Feb 15, 2015
East Coast, US
Looking for something to offset our forced air oil heat. We have a rancher with an upstairs fireplace, exposed chimney. I figure we can use the forced air in the house to get the heat from the fireplace blown around the upstairs (approx 1400 sq ft).

I'd like something that I can run 24/7 over the winter. Normally, our winters are far from harsh (southern pennsylvania). I'm looking really hard at the Drolet 1800i, but also the PE Super. I've been reading everything I can online, but I can't figure out the price difference! It looks like I can get a Drolet 1800i for a shade over $1000, but the PE dealer near me is saying that the super is like $2500.

A fairly important requirement is that I want to be able to easily re-fire in the morning after an overnight burn - From what I've read, with good fuel, either insert should do this, since they are in the medium range.

The difference in firebox size is .2 cu ft, with the Drolet having the larger one. The Drolet also has a 50lb advantage, which should help for holding heat. The claimed output and efficiency are relatively close - so what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I'm planning to install a full insulated liner (probably pay a pro for that), and I may insulate the masonry fireplace myself for added heatification.

Using the hot air system to move the heat can fail if the ductwork is uninsulated and travels thru a cold space like a basement. The ductwork needs to be well sealed and fully insulated (including the returns) for this to have a possibility of success.

Both stoves will get the job done if they are sized correctly for the house heat loss. The PE has the advantage of a more sophisticated air control (primary and secondary) and a better baffle/seondary system that makes it tougher and easier to clean. The Drolet represents a very good value, especially at that price and will heat just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.