Looking for an Aero? Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
I have a friend that is looking for a chimney cap to "solve" the wind related back puffing problem that a relative is having with their stove... I've tried to suggest extending the chimney, but he is insistent that the right cap will solve his issues (I haven't seen the installation in question)

The product that he is looking for is something called an "Aero Cap" or something that sounds like it - That is definitely the pronounciation he used, but I'm not sure of the spelling. He says he's seen these used in a couple of windy ocean-front locations and that they worked well, I think they MAY be some sort of variant on the "weather-vane" style cap that pivots with the wind, but I'm not sure.

I have just spent a while Googling for it, and not seen anything, although I've checked several different chimney cap vendors (who all seemed to carry the same half dozen or so brands...) Found lots of Vaccu-stacks, but I don't think that is what my friend is talking about.

Anyone ever hear of a chimney cap by this name, and possibly have a pointer to where I could look at one?

Thanks,

Gooserider

I have only heard of the Vacu thing. Have heard it works though.

What kind of Guzzy you got? I am on a Duck PS 1000LE.

Many thanks for the replies...

DNF - I have two Guzzi's at present, both are California II's that have been equipped w/ leading link forks and sidecars.

Corpseal - thanks for the link suggestion, I will see if I can find anything searching on that term, or if that shop has a website.

Craig - The Aerocowl link is currently not working for me, but it may just be down because of the holiday. The Wiki article is interesting but I was wondering if you had a link to the original paper that you derived the pictures from? Also as a suggestion, it might be helpful if your wiki article indicated which numbers on the graphs were "better" - i.e. would I want to choose a cap that gave me a positive number or a negative one?

Gooserider

Goose, link works for me, but it is a Scottish site!

As far as the study, there in no online link to it, but it was prepared under the Canadian government.

Numbers in the positive range means that the particular wind had a positive effect, in the negative range have a negative effect.

Update....

I've talked to my friend some more about it. He describes the cap that he's talking about as a sort of pivoting cone on a stick that is mounted over the chimney. When the wind blows, the cone tilts so that the side into the wind is blocked by the cone's side, and the smoke exits out the now larger opening on the downwind side. However he says he found a home with one on it, and the owner said he didn't think they were made any more...

I also showed him a picture of the "Conquistador's cap" that Corpseal mentioned earlier - I haven't been able to find a source for it online - but here is a picture from Wikipedia - Does anyone know of an online source?

Another possibility that he seemed impressed by, is this Wind Turbine Cap This place is the only one I've found so far that advertises it, but it might do the job.

I don't know why he doesn't like the Vaccustack or Home-saver Windbeater style - seems like they are MUCH easier to come by, but he doesn't seem interested in them for some reason.

Seperate question, somewhat related... He was also looking to install a Class A chimney setup, 6", through the wall, approx 25' tall - I've been searching haven't seen many places reccomended - anyplace cheaper than Lowe's or Home Despot that people can reccomend? (I've seen suggestions for Menard's, but we don't have those in this area)

Thanks,

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Update....

I've talked to my friend some more about it. He describes the cap that he's talking about as a sort of pivoting cone on a stick that is mounted over the chimney. When the wind blows, the cone tilts so that the side into the wind is blocked by the cone's side, and the smoke exits out the now larger opening on the downwind side. However he says he found a home with one on it, and the owner said he didn't think they were made any more...

I also showed him a picture of the "Conquistador's cap" that Corpseal mentioned earlier - I haven't been able to find a source for it online - but here is a picture from Wikipedia - Does anyone know of an online source?

Another possibility that he seemed impressed by, is this Wind Turbine Cap This place is the only one I've found so far that advertises it, but it might do the job.

I don't know why he doesn't like the Vaccustack or Home-saver Windbeater style - seems like they are MUCH easier to come by, but he doesn't seem interested in them for some reason.

Seperate question, somewhat related... He was also looking to install a Class A chimney setup, 6", through the wall, approx 25' tall - I've been searching haven't seen many places reccomended - anyplace cheaper than Lowe's or Home Despot that people can reccomend? (I've seen suggestions for Menard's, but we don't have those in this area)

Thanks,

Gooserider

Ventingpipe.com has decent pricing as well as Chimneylinerdepot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.