Looking for Ash Bucket w/Lid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cd64133

Jul 30, 2008
Western Missouri
I am looking for a quality ash bucket w/lid. The ash caddy is probably a little large for my setup. I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Should be easy enough to find at Ace, or Agway or even at Lowes (who did not have them near me last year). I got mine at Agway 2 yrs ago. Got the small black metal bucket for emptying the ash into and then transporting outside to dump. Bought another large metal garbage pail that sits just outside the garage for dumping into. This way I do not worry about the compost pile catching fire...

I just use a regular old metal garbage can with a metal lid. It sits on non combustible concrete floor . Pick up at any hardware store or Giant orange box store.

Attachments

• morso bucket.jpg
    morso bucket.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 825
I just go with a ten-gallon galvanized metal trash can from the hardware. Bought it specifically for ashes, thus it has not been banged around and thus the lid fit is still tight. I put some bricks on the ground so it would have a non-combustible surface to sit on.

Here's a related question, what's the longest time after which you've found still-live coals in your ash bucket? For me it's about 24 hours, but I've heard horror stories of coals "hibernating" in their ash bed for much longer...

Eddy

I just found two nice alternatives at Tractor Supply yesterday. The only one I could find with a lid prior was at Menard's. It couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 gallons and they wanted $25.00. At TSC, I found two galvanized garbage cans by the livestock feeders, not the other garbage cans. One is 6 gallons and the bucket is smooth. Looks pretty nice. It was under $15. They also had a 10 gallon that looks more like the regular 'steel' garbage cans for under $16. The nice thing, is both have handles that when in the up position, snap over the cover and hold it down. I went with the 10 gallon, because it means less trips to dump it when it is freezing outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.