Looking For Better Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
This pass year I upgraded my wood stove from a Vogelzang boxwood stove (which I had for about 20 years) to a Jotul 3CB. This was definitely a nice upgrade but I was hoping for much better performance. I live in a small house with 900 sq. ft. I really thought I was going to use much less wood than I did with burn times longer than I had. I do really like this Jotul but I would like to find something that would give me what I am looking for. Better fuel consumption and longer burn times. Without cooking myself out of my house, is there a stove I can use that would give me better service?

With a small space it heat it can be hard as getting a bigger stove will extend burn times but might cook you out doing it.

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a catalytic stove. With the catalyst, these stoves can run at a lower rate for a longer period of time, and still keep the chimney clean.

For longer burn times in a small space you will probably need to look for a catalytic stove. One of the BlazeKing 20 series or a Woodstock Keystone/Palladian would be appropriate. With those you can reduce the air more resulting in lower heat output while still burning efficient and clean. A cat stove will also be somewhat more efficient than a secondary burn stove.

That said, it is not just the stove that determines an efficient burn. Dry wood, proper operation, a good chimney system, and a well insulated house will also be important if you want to reduce your fuel consumption. How are those?

Reactions: Osagebndr and pen
In non-cat I'd consider a Pacific Energy Super 27 (or Alderlea T5). It is a bit oversized for your space, but holds a good, long fire with a partial load of wood. In catalytic I would consider the BK Ashford or Sirocco or the Woodstock Keystone or Fireview.

Sorry for not replying to any of these post and thank you for all replies. I don't understand why I'm not receiving any email notifications, I do have that pref set correctly.

My house is all masonry construction built in 1945 out of real cinder block with a cement coat and furing strip with drywall. Not the best construction for an insulation factor but that is what I have to work with. I kind of thought that a catalytic stove would be the better choice for me. As far as the wood goes, I'm building a wood shed to keep my wood as dry as I can.

Okay, as I'm looking into Catalytic stoves what are the specs I need to be concerned with. My house is 900 sq. ft. BTUs? Burn times, both low and high? Efficiency?

If'n you go Blaze King, then you can run low enough that you really need not be so concerned with oversizing the stove. If anyone else, then a 2.0-2.5 cu.ft. catalytic will do you well enough, at 900 sq.ft.

If'n you go Blaze King, then you can run low enough that you really need not be so concerned with oversizing the stove. If anyone else, then a 2.0-2.5 cu.ft. catalytic will do you well enough, at 900 sq.ft.
I'm locked in on the size with the hearth I have to work with. I'm trying to stay under 24" in width and 20" in depth.

Is anyone familiar with Majestic DutchWest Catalytic wood burning stoves?

Not familiar with the Majestic name, but if they're the Dutchwest stoves with which I'm familiar, I was talked out of buying one two years ago. Small front loading doors, less than fantastic support and quality.

This is a good place to find sound advice I am putting in a new stove this week and the advice I found through asking questions and reading other threads has been invaluable
If you have dry wood, then as mentioned, a catalytic is the way to go. Good Luck!

Hi Firerod What about the 3CB was not working for you? 900 sq ft in a somewhat loose home, that stove will handle on most days, but this winter if it was heating the house at all, it was doing what it could. Normally, its about a 4-6 hour burn time 16-17 inch pieces of wood. Less than 24" W and 20" D -- that's a pretty small area, akin to smaller wood stoves. To get longer burns, you're gonna have to realize a bigger firebox... For a non-cat, the Super 27 BG mentioned might be a great choice, slightly smaller in firebox is Enviro 1200, but has fairly modest footprint. Good luck, prob gonna have to prioritize whats most important- size of stove, heating capacity or burn time.

I know there isn't much to work with but I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. I do realize a larger firebox will give me more burn time and the Cat will be more efficient. There has to be something out there that will fit my needs.

A cat stove is not just more efficient but will also give you longer burn times. What is the actual hearth size and distance to clearances you have? Can you post pics of your current setup?

Cat stove just means a wider range of control. They can be run as furiously hot as any non-cat, but also turned down way lower. More expensive, in general, but no real downside.

Something a regular participant on another forum often posts is that you only get so much heat from x amount of fuel. There is no magic in a modern stove to somehow give you more heat.
With the better controls on a typical cat stove and the reduced chimney temperature, you can reclaim a bit more of the heat the wood puts out for your house instead of wasting it up the chimney, but not dramatically more. The real benefit of a modern cat stove is your ability to control the heat output to what you really need at the time rather than ending up with large indoor temperature swings.

Large indoor temp swings are not synonymous with non-cats. That is not so with some installations. We experience little temp swing in spite of having a large stove. Its mass tends to even out the temperature when burning 24/7 quite nicely. The same is reported for large soapstone stoves. Nor is freedom from large temp swings guaranteed with a cat stove, especially when too large a stove is installed in a small area. BK cats appear to do a better job at controlling temperature swings but that is more a function of the thermostatic control. Our non-cat Resolute worked similarly.

Where a cat does well is during shoulder seasons with low slow smoldering burns. There the non-cat burner needs to either do short hot fires and let them burn out to avoid temp swings, or turn up the thermostat and let the central heating take over.

Last edited:
Where a cat does well is during shoulder seasons with low slow smoldering burns.

The cat stove "does well" anytime of the year that you want the most flexibility in length of burn and heat output. I suspect that pretty much everyone considers this to be all year long.

Oh and skip the BK20 series stoves unless your hearth absolutely cannot fit the extra couple inches of the larger 30 series stoves. The 30 series offers 50% longer burn times AND the ability to be turned down lower for a less heat from the larger stove.

I actually burn a cat stove in a relatively mild climate with a very long burn season. I burned a fire today in fact. I cannot overstate the importance of the long burn times offered by a cat stove. Only a cat stove can keep your smaller home warm all day when you are gone at a regular shift of work by trickling out the heat all day long.

The next best thing would be a pellet stove or gas stove. Small houses, or houses with low heat needs, are tough to heat with wood.

Only a cat stove can keep your smaller home warm all day when you are gone at a regular shift of work by trickling out the heat all day long.
I agree with the rest of your post but this is not true i and many others keep our houses warm all day while we are at work without having cat stoves. I am not bad mouthing cats at all but you can get plenty of burn time out of non cats for most people.

Reactions: brad wilton
I looked up your Jotul and the mfg specs this at a MAX of 42,000 BTU. Since you have been using this and should have a good idea of how much more heat you need, it should be easier to use this as a guide. As posted, a heavier cast stove with a cat will allow you to go to a larger stove with less chance of heating yourself out of the house. Max BTU numbers mean that you are cranking the stove as hot as it will get for a short time. No stove can maintain the max output for a long period but it is useful when you return home to a cold house.

Also keep in mind that a cat stove will require very dry wood. Way too many threads on here from people upset with their stoves who think their wood is 'seasoned' enough. If you can't stockpile wood a few years ahead, I would not recommend a cat.

I agree with the rest of your post but this is not true i and many others keep our houses warm all day while we are at work without having cat stoves. I am not bad mouthing cats at all but you can get plenty of burn time out of non cats for most people.

Is your home 900 sf? That's the trick, low output for 12 hours.

That depends on the heat retention characteristics of your house, but I've read more than a few posts indicating the struggle between long burn time and overheating the house, running non-cats during the shoulder seasons. With a catalytic stove, the owner has the option to stuff a large stove to the gills, and then sip on that load for 30 - 40 hours. This gives one the ability to achieve long burn times in less-than frigid weather, when the non-cat owners are talking about building "short hot fires".

We can start burning 24/7 when temps get below 42F. Above that we pulse and glide. Or just turn up the thermostat and let the heat pump handle the load cleaner and easier and with current local wood prices, cheaper.

Yeah guys like i said i am in no way putting down cat stoves they are very good stoves all i am saying is the heat and burn times can be managed without a cat

The thing about a Cat Stove is in your small space you can turn the heat down farther on the stove.
So the stove doesn't run you out of the room. Turning the heat down to a lower level means longer burn times.
Having the cat stove turned down to a lower heat level but still getting a really clean burn.

Check out the New 2.5 cubic ft cat stove designs from Wood Stock Stove Company.

You most likely will have to call them to see if the new smaller 2.5 will be ready this fall.

They have a website blog http://blog.woodstove.com/2015/02/hybrid-version-3.html

Status
Not open for further replies.