Looking For Better Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think bottom line is the op is going to find it difficult to find a small fingerprint of a stove that he desires and at the same time, get a much bigger firebox capacity for extended burns, cat or non-cat stove. He seems to have left the thread too... good luck.

I think bottom line is the op is going to find it difficult to find a small fingerprint of a stove that he desires and at the same time, get a much bigger firebox capacity for extended burns, cat or non-cat stove. He seems to have left the thread too... good luck.

I disagree and so will the folks that own a tiny Woodstock keystone and get 10+ hour burns. You don't need a big firebox to beat the pants out of a small noncat wrt burntime.

Reactions: Ashful
Does the keystone have a smaller footprint than 24"W and 20"D? That is what the op was insisting on- that was what I was basing my post on- we all agree that cats will have a possible longer burn time than non-cats but some cat owners seem a bit sensitive about that getting acknowledged by all that use wood stoves. I would also note cats are more expensive generally on the initial purchase, tend to need more knowledge on how to use and probably will cost more over the life of the stove. We all acknowledge Blaze king makes a nice stove. I sell them too, but they are what they are, an expensive catalytic stove. BTW Keystone is 28H25W20D for dimensions, its very close yes. 10 hour burns? If so, that is impressive.

The Keystone is among the stoves I suggested earlier. It's a good heater. However, although is size is close be aware that it has higher clearance requirements than some stoves when considering it for this installation. These clearances can be reduced with venitlated NFPA 211 wall shields.The BK Ashford or Sirocco may be a better fit for this reason. The non-cat PE Alderlea T5 has reasonably close clearances also.

Does the keystone have a smaller footprint than 24"W and 20"D? That is what the op was insisting on- that was what I was basing my post on- we all agree that cats will have a possible longer burn time than non-cats but some cat owners seem a bit sensitive about that getting acknowledged by all that use wood stoves. I would also note cats are more expensive generally on the initial purchase, tend to need more knowledge on how to use and probably will cost more over the life of the stove. We all acknowledge Blaze king makes a nice stove. I sell them too, but they are what they are, an expensive catalytic stove. BTW Keystone is 28H25W20D for dimensions, its very close yes. 10 hour burns? If so, that is impressive.

Yes, 25x20 is really close to the requested 24x20. We're in tiny stove territory. It's a very big deal that a cat stove of this size can have a burn time of 8-10 hours (per Woodstock) vs. 2-3 hours from a similar sized non-cat. Folks that own the keystone have reported much longer burn times than Woodstock. The main complaint by the OP was that he needed more burntime from a tiny footprint right?

Absolutely- agree totally with all you say from this point on, thank you for setting me straight. Take care.

Cat stoves become less expensive IF you have to purchase wood. I myself have heated with wood most of my childhood and adult life and have recently became unable to cut my own wood. My first winter with the cat stove I used a solid 30% less wood than usual. It was a relatively mild winter here with the exception of Feb. but even if I stll processed my own wood this would be a welcome change.

He says the insulation is not that good so I don't think he has to worry as much about heating himself out. Got about 1000 sq.ft. here, insulation isn't too good except the attic, but the climate may be a little warmer than the OP's. And yes, the Keystone can pretty easily go 10+ hrs on low output, good enough most of the time in a moderate climate. When outside temps take a dive, you'll have to open the air a bit, and you'll be loading more often to maintain 70 in the house, as it only has 1.4 cu.ft.

Sorry for not replying earlier but for some reason I do not get a email notification when anyone responds to this thread.

Here is a picture of my set up.

IMG_4111_zps39c217ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My house like I said is only 900 sq, ft. with 1945 cinder block construction without any insulation. The picture looks a little deceiving. My stove actually has adequate clearance and is only a heat problem when it is fully loaded and burning over 400°. I have been looking into the Jotul F 400 Castine. It is a slightly larger non cat with a larger firebox and longer burn time. Size wise, it looks like it will fit my hearth without being oversized.

Maybe someone can tell me what would be the better smallest cat stoves available. Preferably nothing smaller that an 18" log.

The Castine is a radiant stove which may be uncomfortable in a small area. As noted earlier, I suggest you look at the PE Alderlea T4 or T5 in non-cat and the Woodstock Keystone or BK Ashford in cat stoves.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can tell me what would be the better smallest cat stoves available. Preferably nothing smaller that an 18" log.

Have you taken a look at any of the stoves mentioned so far? Any particular reason they will not work in your situation? Without knowing your selection criteria it is hard to come up with a potential fit.

I know a few owners of cat Buck Stoves that are very happy with them. Might be worth looking at.

The Castine is a radiant stove which may be uncomfortable in a small area. As noted earlier, I suggest you look at the PE Alderlea T4 or T5 in non-cat and the Woodstock Keystone or BK Ashford in cat stoves.

Agreed. Though your new 18" wood criteria is not consistent with most small stoves.

Good point. Most of the stoves mentioned will take an 18" log, though the Keystone is listed at 16" and although rated for 18", 16" is recommended for the other stoves. Personally, even if rated at 18" I would still cut to 16". I don't like jamming the wood into the firebox.

Okay, this is my criteria; I would like a stove that would take an 18" log with a firebox at least 1.5 cu. ft. but no less and a burn time of at least 8 hours. Width no more than 24" and depth @ 20 - 21"". And, yes I have been looking at all the stoves mentioned. One more thing, I'm trying to keep the price of the stove between $1,000 and $2,000. Also, no side loaders, must be a front loader.

Those are awfully exclusive criteria. Take an 18" log, add firebricks and stove body + door to it and you will certainly not get a N-S loader that is only 21" deep. And it will be very tight for an E-W loader. The only one that I can think of that comes even remotely close is the Dutchwest 2460 but better check the forum regarding reliability and burn times. It is also meant to be a side-loader.

Grisu is right. I think you may have to give a little on stove size or wood length. Your criteria has you painted into a corner. It's also unrealistic to expect 8 hour burn times from a 1.5cu.ft stove unless your ok with having just enough embers left to start a new fuel load.

We currently have a Hearthstone Equinox which for your heating requirements is obviously to large. However I will say that the soapstone provides very even output. In our home which has an open floor plan with a open loft to above the rooms are all within one degree of each other. The upstairs is typically only one degree warmer than the family room and the downstairs bedroom is only one degree cooler. We are currently getting 8hr burns on good wood but the stone extends the useful life of the heat. May be worth taking a look at their smaller models. Overall we are very happy with our purchase.

I got the Castine for its good looks, larger firebox, and the ability to burn 22" pieces of wood. We had maybe a half cord of 20-22" long locust that I didn't feel like resawing. The Castine was a nice heater, but the burn times were too short when it got very cold outside. A year and a half later the locust was all gone and so was the Castine. Point being, get the right stove and cut the wood to length for it. It will save you a lot of stove moving.

18" log in a < 24" stove for > 8 hours? Ain't gonna happen, methinks...

Those are awfully exclusive criteria. Take an 18" log, add firebricks and stove body + door to it and you will certainly not get a N-S loader that is only 21" deep. And it will be very tight for an E-W loader. The only one that I can think of that comes even remotely close is the Dutchwest 2460 but better check the forum regarding reliability and burn times. It is also meant to be a side-loader.

I did check out the Dutchwest 2460 and the 2461. They both would fit my needs but there seems to be many bad reviews concerning the quality of Dutchwest.

Grisu is right. I think you may have to give a little on stove size or wood length. Your criteria has you painted into a corner. It's also unrealistic to expect 8 hour burn times from a 1.5cu.ft stove unless your ok with having just enough embers left to start a new fuel load.

I have a 6 hr. run time with a 1 cu. ft. firebox with my Jotul. The 1.5 cu. ft. was a minimum criteria considering what I get out of my stove. A larger firebox I would welcome and hopefully would give me a longer burn time.

18" log in a < 24" stove for > 8 hours? Ain't gonna happen, methinks...

I know that my specs do limit me but sometimes there is a solution for every situation.

I know that my specs do limit me but sometimes there is a solution for every situation.

So is the 18" wood requirement just because you have already cut a whole bunch of wood to that length? Or is for future wood as well. Like you really really like 18" splits?

Harbor freight sells cheap chop saws that would allow you to quickly lop off those last couple of inches and open up your stove options. Maybe that could be part of the solution.

Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
Status
Not open for further replies.