Looking for comments on potential backup boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
I currently have a oil boiler for backup thats getting old and its the kind that is soposed to be kept hot (not an on demand type) and my system is set up to not to circulate through the oil boiler when heating on the wood boiler so Ive been looking for a replacement, and non oil if possible (we have propane for the stove and want to get rid of the oil tank).

I found this unit for sale used.
Teledyne Laars
Gas fired hot water boiler
Natural Gas 125,000 BTU
Can be converted to propane
Hot Stow 40 gallon hot water tank
Heat exchange coil
Also comes with 2 circulators Taco 0012 & 008
Smoke stack, expansion tank, coin op bleeder valve, fittings with shut off, safe guard low water cut off & back flow preventer with auto fill.
Can be used for heat with just boiler or just hot water with boiler, tank and 1 circulator or a domestic heat and hot water with tank, boiler & both circulators.
System is in like new condition, Safe and energy efficient. $1,200 FIRM

My questions are:

What is involved in getting a boiler converted from natural to propane?

Will a gas company convert it for me willingly?

Anyone know anything about Teledyne Laars boilers? IE is is an ondemand unit, are they efficiant/reliable?

Will a gas company hook my gas line up to it if I install it?

Unit looks in excellent condition and it comes with a Hot Stow 40gal indirect DHW tank and misc parts for $1200. Sounds like a good price if it can be converted and not to expensively.

Thanks

~ Phil

It's a copper tube boiler, been around for years. There was a time when you could change the orifices on the burner and pilot and change a spring in the gas valve. Due to liability issues you now need to buy a kit which included a new gas valve and pilot orifice. Or it may be they are no longer field convertiable, it the manufacturers eyes. It's been a few years since I dealt with one.

There was a time when the gas suppliers would remove and peen the orifices and redrill them!

They can soot up and fail quickly if the burner and pilot is not set up correctly. Have the conversion done by a professional with experience and a combustion analyzer to protect you and your family.

Look for any discoloration on the sheet metal jacketing indicating they have been overheated. Water quality on any small tube heat exchanger is another issue to check.

They run mid 80% efficiencies if set up and piped correctly. They really need return protection and a means to keep them from short cycling, if you connect them to a multi zoned system. Look into a tank like the Boiler Buddy to buffer and de-couple them.

They should be inspected yearly and the HX brushed if needed.

hr

Hi Hr thanks for the advice can you tell me what you mean by return protection? Im guessing its not the same as with a wood boiler where you want to keep the return water temp above a certain level.

Also, we hardly run on backup, I use about 50 gal a year of oil so I dont think Id need the boiler buddy with that little of use.

~ Phil

yes they do need return temperature protection, just like a wood boiler.

When low temperature radiant became popular in the late '80's and early '90's it was rumored these boilers could run with 110F return temperatures. This proved not to be the case and they would condense and plug the fins on the tube heat exchangers. Then the flame would roll out the front and char or burn the controls and wiring. When they plug and burn in-efficiently they can produce high levels of Co. So be careful.

A lot of installers confused them with copper tube pool boilers. The pool version boilers actually had a thermostatic bypass valve built into the headers to run continously at low return, pool temperatures.

Add a 3 way thermostatic just as you wood with a wood boiler if you have a large mass system connected to it. With low mass baseboard you might be fine, just watch the return temperature. The boiler should be out of condensing mode within 10- 15 minutes of start up.

hr

wanted to answer few qustions on this add. yes you can convert to lp. for under $ 200. teledyne is well known & reliable, parts are easy to get. yes you can install in your own home, yes im sure you can find a liscens tech to do your work. and from the list of items you have in new condition is a very good price. good luck

Hi thanks if you don't mind I have another question on this topic. Hue physical location the gas boiler would need to go is beside the chimney in the middle of the basement. Currently the oil fuel line is run in the concrete. Can the new gas line for this boiler be run overhead on ceiling and come down to boiler un attached to anything?

Thanks

not a oil tech but i do know they dont run oil lines in concret anymore so if you do update your oil furnace run a new line above ground in a approved blue plastic liner. but you can pump oil out of line cut & crimp flush with floor. yes you can run line above, secure it at dropping point an make sure you have a proper drip leg.I like the approved yellow jacket copper tubing get fastener for size piping do you drip leg in iron pipe then iron pipe to gas valve secures it nice dont forget shutoff valves.good luck & heat on. p.s teledyne sells L.P gas valves for around $140. orficces $5 a piece make sure you get part # correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.