Looking for controls ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Right now the GW just plugs into an outlet in the outdoor 'boiler room'. And the setup is stock at the moment, which means that if the aquastat calls for heat and the flow switch says there is flow, the damper opens. If the electric goes out, the damper closes and the pump stops running.

Firstly, to minimize draw on an as yet not installed backup source, I'd like to separate the damper and the pump. That is to say, if the electric goes out the damper should close, but the pump should run off the backup source.

Secondly, I'd like to incorporate a time variable. For example, during this little 'mini-summer' of the past week, I want to produce DHW to be ready at 5AM, but then at 8:30 I have been manually resetting the aquastat to keep the damper from opening all day. The flip-side problem is that this scenario forces me to bump the aquastat back up when I go to bed, so that the DHW will heat. I envision a time variable letting me set the damper to not open until, say, 3 AM, giving the DHW time to recharge.

Thirdly, I need to be able to 'see' door state, damper state, boiler return temp, and boiler output temp from inside the residence. And it seems to me that with the use of relays, I wouldn't need to use as much electricity.

Any ideas are appreciated

Jimbo

EDIT** I'd also like the flow to switch to a 5 gal tank instead of the indoor HX during the 'off-time' so that the stand-by heat losses into the residence are minimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.