Mid-Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA) Looking for Corn Rochester, NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYBurner

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2015
Upstate NY
Would like to try burning a little corn this year. Can anyone recommend a brand and/or where to buy around Rochester, NY?

Hi I'm new to the forum. I just moved into a house with a corn stove. Not sure about your area but I ended up buying my corn through TSC. In Ontario, TSC sells a 25kg bushel at 7.99 (when you buy a skid of 40). I also had to pay to get it delivered. I tried calling a few local feed co-ops, but they were even more (for bagged corn around 12$ a bushel). When you do the math, heating with corn (in my situation) is getting pretty close to baseboard electric. Plus the squirrels have ate through the rubber bottom on my garage door and our now eating the corn (one week and already one bag gone) lol. I hope you have a better experience with corn.

Good luck!

Corn because the weather east of Ohio was not a good crop so locally the prices are high. Here in the major corn belt I can get bulk corn for less than $3.50/Bu, 56lb standard. Fantastic crop here with farmers getting 183 bu to acre average and weights in the low 60's. No drying needed as was the perfect fall for harvest. So corn here at least, burning a very efficient Bixby stove still beats propain that's going for 93 cents per gallon. Just touched off the Bixby and probably won't shut it down but to clean it monthly.
30 degrees out with winds hitting over 40 with close to an inch of snow last night and this morning.

Thanks for the replies guys! I was planning to just mix 50/50 with wood pellet (probably even a lower % of corn) more for experiment and experience. Good point on the rodent issue....thats something I had not really considered. Hopefully that wont be a problem if I just get a few bags of corn (enough to burn the mix for say a week). Mostly I just want to see how the stove reacts and learn what I need to watch for in terms of residue/problems if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.