Looking for decent portable radio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I am having a hard time finding a decent portable radio. I want something smaller than a boombox but larger than a walkman/headset. I'm going to use it while stacking wood, in my small boat, etc. I have some AM radio sports shows I don't like to miss. Also good to serve as an emergency battery powered radio.

Would be nice if it played mp3/podcasts as some of my shows come out on that media. Waterproof is nice as I am sure to forget it outside by the woodpile.

Anybody seen anything along these lines lately?

What I carry with me is an old Radio Shack police scanner, PRO-26. While it doesn't get AM radio, isn't waterproof, and I'm sure it doesn't hook to one of those MP3 thingers, it does get weather, military and civilian aircraft, TV sound before they went digital, FM radio, CB radio, Ham radio, and everything from 26 Mhz to 1.2 Ghz except cell phones. It's at least 15 years old now. I keep it in my bib overalls pocket while milking the cows, in the cup holder on my ATV while cutting wood, on the dash of my truck when I go to town, etc. It picks up enough stuff to keep me interested and to let me know what's going on around the county and beyond as far as weather, criminals, car chases, and news/music.

might be worth it to take a look at Sharper Image, or Brookstone. I have AM/FM/Weatherband with cell phone charger and built in dynamo by Eton that has served me well in the woods for a few years (and I am not gentle). I doesn't have aux input for MP3/Ipod, but mine is a few years old and newr ones may have that capacity. I think it cost me $45.

Try CCRANE.COM

Somewhat costly, but they have semi-good deals in the returned department. (I never bought a radio from them though.)

Last I heard, Sharper Image was bankrupt.

I've got an eton fr300 that I use when I'm working outdoors. Its about 6" square and has a real strong receiver like most of the eton/grundig products. It takes 4 AA batteries, or you can wind it for a minute or so to recharge the replaceable ni-mh battery. It's a great little unit. This one cost around 40. and I think they have other models for 30. If you need a strong receiver they're worth it.

Thanks for the tip.
I use it mostly to listen to the Mets and the AM station they're on is weak even though it is close.

I use the stihl head set that works well while splitting cutting riding the mower or any thingelse you have going on

The Crane products are great.
For a less expensive and quality alternative I purchased a GE "SuperRadio" from Radio Shack. Fantastic AM reception.

Would you rather have an indecent radio?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.