looking for electric wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lol, I do with my circular saw. Similar high pitched sound. Hate it.

I build log cabins. The main tool for cutting dovetail notches is the chainsaw. With the walls 6 feet high ,of course working on the plywood subfloor, you are inside that is really noisy. I always wear headphones, sometimes headphones and earplugs. Really loud.
Also, the interior must be sanded with a DeWalt 7 inch disc grinder. Really loud, have to wear hearing protection for that, of course that is inside, as well. 40 hours of running the disc grinder. And, I always use the headphones cutting firewood. And I cut lots of firewood.

The little Boss is just didn't seem noisy to me and I don't wear hearing protection. I don't have a decibel measuring device.
I found a 4" random orbit sander on the interior walls cut down a lot of sanding
i use a 4" grinder with a flap wheel to do the primary on rough spots and pitch pockets.
1 pass with 180 on the random orbit and it is done.
I use a detail sander with a big round attachement for the crevices the 4" can't get into.

A 4 inch orbit sander is not going to have near the power of the big 7 inch DeWalt disc grinder. My last log cabin, 950 sq ft of white pine logs to sand, you need a big powerful sander, and even then it took 40 hours, wearing headphones and a respirator. Tough work.

The last one i did was 1100 sq ft 12 ft walls
Random orbit does a nicer job,you don't get the swirl marks from a disc grinder.One pass of 80 grit is all that is required for a smooth finish inside,3 coats of Sikkens and the logs are smooth and easy to clean.
best for all no swirl marks from going across the grain with the disc grinder.
Get a good random orbit and the power is not an issue

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I start with the 36 grit, then sand the entire house with the 50, then sand once again with the 80 grit. Then, the places that are particularly visible, or beautiful, I will touch up with the 3 inch Makita belt sander with the 100 grit.
Maybe two or three hours with the Makita.

I have built turn key, by myself 6 log cabins so I think I know how to sand a log cabin, not to mention, how to cut a dovetail notch, or how to make a 24 foot, 18 inch by 8 inch summerbeam from a growing black walnut tree.

If that little sander works for you, great. To each his own.

Yea just tiring to help you out
I do it in one pass,80 grit after the rough stuff with a flap wheel final touch up with a detail sander.
I guess you love sanding if you like to do a few laps around a building.
I got my tips from log building guys who build them for a living for the last 30 years.
I figured take the lessons from those who have put in the time.
I watched a bunch of guys do various methods with differing results
4" random orbit is a joy to use compared to a 7" disc as well

Electric log splitter --> cabin sanding strategy

Gotta love hearth.com

:)

nothing like a good derail.... train 2.jpgtrain 3.jpg

Reactions: Isaac Carlson