Looking for feedback on Dansons "Homewood" pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JW_CANADA

Mar 16, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
The local Home Depot sells the Dansons "Homewood" brand. It has all the right numbers and words on the bag but I would like to get some real feedback from anyone who may have burnt these pellets. My supplier basically told be today to grab any pellets I can find becase they are having trouble getting the shipments to fill the orders. I had 3 tons of CUBEX on order but it may be a few months now till I get them so I am looking for a hold over and these are what I have found.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

the best way would be to buy a couple of bags, burn em, and decide for yourself. (and report your results here too...LOL)

I just burned a ton of danson's homewood pellets and would not recommend them. These pellets did not burn well, charred pellets built upin the burnpot very quickly, lazy orange flame, in fact for me one morning I discovered that the flame had given up on the burnpot and traveled back up the auger putting smoke in the hopper. When I burned several bags of fireside ultras from HD, none of these issues, great vigorous flame and heat and no burnpot buildup.

I have burned 1 1/2 tons and have had no problems. My Mt-Vernon seems to burn just about anything. I was burning the homewood on hardwood setting but have sinced changed to sofwood and had to cut back on flame height to -4. The best I have used so far is the Energex but can't find any.... Hope this helps.

I burned a few bags of these in my Napoleon and found them to burn very clean with little ash, but not a ton of heat. I didn't really have enough bags to tweak anything though. I would try them again.

I have burnt a full ton of the Homewood pellets now, some LG and some Cubex. So far the Homewood burns fine, no more ash than the LG but least amount of heat output of the three. The LG burns well with a reasonable amount of ash and what seems like a decent amount of heat. The Cubex is definitely the real winner here, there is very little ash produced and the heat is sometimes a little scary.

I am saving the Cubex for those cold Jan / Feb days.

I have a Enviro Milan insert which I clean every 4th day regardless of which brand I am burning. It has a small ashpan............

I checked up on Spruce Point pellets and found that like Homewood they also are made at a Danson's pellet mfg. facility in Canada. 2 bags created the need to chisel clinkers off the burn pot for each
bag burned. Heat output also low. Wood supply is probably similar for both. The pellets had a nice light color though out of the bag and a nice fir tree smell.

Lopi Leyden 2008

Just some additional pellet fuel feedback, for the original message.
I have used Fireside Ultra from HDepot and for my Environ empress isn't too happy. Lots of ash buildup, clinkers, somewhat dirty flame and faster soot build up on the door glass. (Use it if you must and cannot find other better rated brands)
Other so-so performers
-Energex
-Other brand from Lowes

What has burned very well for me:
-Lignetics (superior all around...of course, good luck finding it. My local nursery where I placed my name on waiting list in August have not even called me!)
-Green Team (Lowes...white color bag with green printing)
-Western Oregon (wowpellets.com); I was lucky to see them at Home Depot and took a chance on 3 tons being desperate in mid NOV--- nice bright flame, low ash, clinkers, high heat.

Cheers

Regarding the Lignetics, I am finding the Forest Pride pellets which are made by Lignetics are also burning well with good heat , little ash and no clinkers and can be found at Super Walmarts
in Maine.

Lopi Leyden 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.