Looking for firewood vendor in Northern Westchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
I'm in Peekskill, NY. We decided late to get a fireplace insert, so I'm only now addressing the wood issue. I have maybe 1/2 a cord that's been sitting on the porch for almost 2 years - in the past we burned maybe 1/2 a cord a year in the fireplace. So now I'm going to have a brand new insert and very little wood to burn. I'm learning a lot reading here and I'm concerned about the wood I'll buy. Wondering if anybody has a vendor that they can recommend in the Northern Westchester\Putnam region that can provide wood I can use this season.

Thanks,

Hey neighbor, I am down the road in Crugers. I have had good luck with Golden Tree in Montrose. Ken Golden has been in the business forever and is a good, honest fellow. I bought from him the first few years that I owned my house. I scrounge all my wood now, but if I had to buy, I would call Ken. As I recall his wood was usually pretty well seasoned and well priced .

Thanks, Steve. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Hey, Matt. I think I heard about this forum from someone (you maybe) on Woodnet. I've been reading here about guys cutting down their own firewood and splitting it and all the work that goes into it and I think, "boy, I wish I had time to do that. I would still buy my firewood and spend that time in the shop"!

Berone said:
Thanks, Steve. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Hey, Matt. I think I heard about this forum from someone (you maybe) on Woodnet. I've been reading here about guys cutting down their own firewood and splitting it and all the work that goes into it and I think, "boy, I wish I had time to do that. I would still buy my firewood and spend that time in the shop"!

Don't tell me you turn perfectly good fuel into furniture! :)

Ummm... I'm also a welder. How's that?

As a hobbie or business?

Huh. Never thought of welding as a hobby! I'm a Local One stagehand in NYC. Now I work on Broadway but I used to be a shop carpenter and welder at the Met Opera and a couple of other shops. I've been known to stick some steel together as part of home projects, so I guess that would currently make me a hobby welder. When I was trying to figure out how to pad up my insert my cousin, the mason, said "just make up a form and pour a cement pad". I said "too hard. I can just weld up a steel frame". We both thought the other was crazy.

This is kinda funny. I am a Local One Stagehand in NYC too! I work in the Electric Dept at The Met. Small world huh?

Small world, indeed. You do lighting or construction? Peter Tuteur lives around the corner from me. I worked at the Met from about '96 to 2000, in the carpentry shop when Steve Wood was there.

On stage. Bridge 1 guy. Actually focusing Turandot right now.

Berone, I have purchased from Garrison Tree and they are pretty good. They are located in Garrison on Route 9 just passed the 123 Stop Deli. If you get to the statue of your Lord Jesus Christ, you went to far. They are on your right hand side.

They had a HUGE wood pile up there this summer. I asked them if they'd sell logs to me, but they didn't want to. That was before I discovered the magic of the Craig's List Free section.

Who did you end up getting you wood from? Is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.