Looking for green or other natural colored electric fence tape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My neighborhood, with approval from our HOA, started a community garden on unused open space. We installed a 50' x 150' solar powered electric fence to deter the deer. We used standard white polytape style wire for the fence portion, but that generated some complaints due to the very visible white tape. Our group wants to find a compromise so are thinking there must be a non-white version of the polytape material for sale. So far we haven't identified any. We prefer the ribbon-like polytape as it is probably more obvious to the deer. As a last resort we can go with the traditional wire but am wondering if any of you know of a green or other natural color polytape electric fencing material?

Thanks

Have you thought of using green dye?

LLigetfa said:
Have you thought of using green dye?

The ribbon material is plastic/poly so I suspect it will not take a dye. We've considered spray painting but could replace the material for the cost of the spray paint.

honorabLEE said:
Tell your HOA that an electric fence that blends may present liability issues . They may change their mind.

They would then tell us to disband the garden if we impose any kind of liability concern.

Flavo - yes, that is just what I am looking to find! Thank you. Unfortunately the main website is down but I will check back. I'd like to see their green product too.

Unless the fence is 8 feet high it won't stop a deer and a hungry bear will just walk through it. Garden fences look good but seldom work well unless there is little wild animal pressure. Be safe.
Ed

Don't want to sound too discouraging but my experience trying to keep deer from eating my shrubs is as Colebrookman describes. My final solution was to build a 7' high electric fence with seven or eight aluminum wire strung between posts. The wire alternated (+) and (-) starting with a (+) about 3" above the ground. Even with that configuration the deer would get tangled in the wire trying to get at the shrubs. Each morning I would see the wire bent and twisted where a deer had become tangled overnight.

Deer can jump high and deer can jump far. However, in most cases, deer are unable to jump high and far in the same leap. Deer hesitate when they are unable to determine the safety of their landing area.

Try this link: http://www.gallagherusa.com/electric-fencing/garden-protection.aspx

Once at this site, scroll down to "deer fence" and other links. The Gallagher folks are the original electric fencing pros from New Zealand.

Good luck!

Ja, I've seen the double fence before. It needs to be visual as it relies on the deer's poor depth perception. I keep deer out with a 6 foot high welded wire fence that uses the same posts and top bar as chainlink fence. I don't provide them any sure-footed landing space. Not only do I have elevation changes with raised beds but also have a minefield of bamboo bean poles and cucumber trellises.

Status
Not open for further replies.