Looking for guide to properly install a pellet Cap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaralluis

Dec 14, 2005
Hi Folks,

I plan on replacing the cap currently installed as I suspect it lets water get in and I purchased a new cap which I think will prevent rain fro getting into the pipe.
But I want to make sure that it is installed properly.

It looks like a fairly simple job to do, but are there any guides/How to out there that shows step by steps?
Thanks

Are you talking about the termination cap on a Vertical install? Depends on the brand on pipe you have (Simpson, Selkirk, metalbestos) Pretty straight forward. Remove any screws, and either twist or pull off (depending on brand) and replace with new cap (make sure its the same brand as your current pipe), and put a couple 1/4" sheet metal screws in it.

Pics of what you have now, and what you plan to replace with, or at least some part numbers will help a lot.

Well I hit a snag today...
I went on the roof late this afternoon and realized that the existing cap is the screw type and lets just say that its screwed tight...
I was looking closely to it and I noticed that the inside part of the cap is lose from the outside screwing part of the cap. That means I can move left and right but not remove the inside of the cap which in the link picture posted is the cone with the three poles and the inside tube.
And thats how I think the water gets in...
I will try to go back there on the weekend and use a rubber wrench to see if I can unscrew the thing.

Any ideas how I can unscrew the thing without ruining the flue pipe?

Probably not the best way, but if you use tin snips and cut off the top cone section. You could slide down a couple Oil filter wrench's.. And add in a delicate hand..

I need opinions about this.
So I just found out that the the current cap is a screw type cap so it covers the the top of the pipe.
The new cap that I got does not screw in but rather fits in.
Will this cause any problems with leakage or be snug enough??

Was the water getting inside the house or inside the pipe and stove ????

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Was the water getting inside the house or inside the pipe and stove ????

Snowy

The OP said it was getting in the pipe in first post.

The water was getting inside the pipe and after troubleshooting it could only come from the raincap.
I checked the pipe all the way to the roof and did not detect any leaks.
I think the problem was that the rain cap opening is too big and water was able to get inside the pipe.
I think I never notice it before because I was burining pellets regularly and any water that would get inside would evaporate.
Now the stove is seldom used so the water gets to the bottom.
Hopefully with this cap water wont be able to get inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.