Looking for heat storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew L.

Nov 26, 2008
Tioga County, NY
Hello all,

Based on other posts on this site, I'm looking for a 500 gallon used propane tank to plumb in as a simple heat storage for my boiler. I'd like to gain those extra few hours in between fill ups. Turns out that finding a used tank is a lot more difficult than I'd thought. Most gas companies are not making then available either due to liability or re-use, and the refurbishing company from which I've purchased tanks in the past is out of business due to an explosion. Any idea where I can find a used tank? I would expect to pay around $1.00 per gallon and have a truck to haul it. I really don't want to mess with an unpressurized tank when the rest of my system is pressurized. The STSS tanks are way out of my price range.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the boiler room,
I have a 1000 gallon propane tank that was used for compressed air only Never had propane in it I don't think it will fit down my stairs like the EKO did..Where in NY are you??

I'm in Tioga County, NY About 15 miles from the PA border, between Binghamton and Ithaca if you're familiar with either town. I don't know that I could get a 1000 down through my Bilco door, though I had considered putting it out in the garage. Any idea as to the dimensions? I'll also try to look them up. Thanks for the reply.

A lot of the tanks are different sizes mine is about 40" in diameter and 15' long..Dave

Dave, I'm going to keep your tank in mind and look for a 500 that I have a chance of getting down the basement. If I am unable to come up with a 500, then I'll reconsider the 1000. Thanks for getting back to me with the specs.

Cheers, Drew

I have several 500gal tanks here in Michigan. $250 each. Maybe buy several and resell them there and recoup some of your expenses for hauling. I also have two alumimum 460gal tanks $400 ea. If interested pm me
leaddog

Another place to check are the metal salvage yards. I know around here the gas compainies sell off their used tanks as scrap steel and the one salvage yard I called said they would sell me one but at that time didn't have any. I did manage to find one that a gas company was willing to sell me. Mine is a 8'x3' 500 gallon tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.