Looking for help on buying boiler.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Currently heating with an add-on wood furnace. Hotblast 1557m. Looking to upgrade to an outdoor boiler. Main floor is 1300 sq ft. Unfinished basement. My FIL has a central boiler and is happy with it. What size or other models would be efficient for this size house. I don't want to go overkill on something too big . Thanks!

I think if I was replacing an existing add-on furnace, I would replace it with a better add-on furnace. A Kuuma comes to mind - or a Caddy. Or a Tundra. 1300 sq.ft is not very big, heating wise, and not what I'd consider a good match to an OWB - I think the OWB would be spending most of its time smoldering your fuel away.

Unless there is more in your situation to consider?

Reactions: flyingcow
I think if I was replacing an existing add-on furnace, I would replace it with a better add-on furnace. A Kuuma comes to mind - or a Caddy. Or a Tundra. 1300 sq.ft is not very big, heating wise, and not what I'd consider a good match to an OWB - I think the OWB would be spending most of its time smoldering your fuel away.

Unless there is more in your situation to consider?

This is good advice!

Reactions: flyingcow
i talked briefly with the guys from Kumma. Seemed to know their stuff. If you've already got ductwork for a delivery system, and want to reuse it, I'd look at Kumma. If you want to go with a whole other delivery system, baseboard or radiant, i'd spend some money and but a gasser w/storage. Or a Garn.

Status
Not open for further replies.