looking for high efficiant wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockcrusher59

Jan 25, 2014
Minnesota
I'm looking at buying a high efficiant wood boiler and have been sent information about Portage & Main stoves and the Ultimizer series. Is there anyone that can give me any advice about this type of stove?

You are in the right place!
Welcome aboard!
Grab a coffee. be prepared to discuss. house set up. square footage/heat loss/ chimney/space for thermal storage etc.
Pictures are a big bonus here too!

Hi Rockcrusher.

If you tell us a little more about your situation, what you are trying to heat, if you are looking for indoor or outdoor boilers, etc., everyone here can provide more helpful information.

Hi Rockcrusher.

If you tell us a little more about your situation, what you are trying to heat, if you are looking for indoor or outdoor boilers, etc., everyone here can provide more helpful information.
I would rather have an outdoor boiler. I have a central boiler at the present time and just looking to update it to a higher efficiency boiler. I have some greenhouses I heat in the spring and would like to have a boiler that burns the fuel to ash instead of charcoal.

Reactions: flyingcow
what model CB are you currently running?
how much wood are you burning for your current setup?

what model CB are you currently running?
how much wood are you burning for your current setup?
I have a CL17, 170 gallon CB stove. When I start using heat in my greenhouses I burn about 1/2 cord a week. I fill it at 10pm, 2am and then 6am, it just doesn't have time to burn all the wood into ash before I need to put wood in again. So I thought a boiler that was higher effeniency wood burn better, plus I added a 1200 gal storage tank into the system.

this is only used for your green house?

assuming your tank is insulated and in the greenhouse?
and you are using an air handler to push FHA into green house?
and your cordwood is dry?

assuming your tank is insulated and in the greenhouse?
and you are using an air handler to push FHA into green house?
and your cordwood is dry?
I also heat my shop with it and through the winter I will use 1/2 cord a month heating that. Then when I start the greenhouses it goes up to 1/2 cord a week. My wood isn't all that dry, that is why I haven't thought about using a gasification system. Then I talked to a salesman about the Portage & Main stoves where he said it is just about as good as a gasifier boiler and yes I know I will have to use dryer wood. I more or less would like to know if you have heard anything about these stoves or prefer a different make?

I also heat my shop with it and through the winter I will use 1/2 cord a month heating that. Then when I start the greenhouses it goes up to 1/2 cord a week. My wood isn't all that dry, that is why I haven't thought about using a gasification system. Then I talked to a salesman about the Portage & Main stoves where he said it is just about as good as a gasifier boiler and yes I know I will have to use dryer wood. I more or less would like to know if you have heard anything about these stoves or prefer a different make?
Look up KarlK he is my brother and has one .He likes it a lot

Reactions: flyingcow
I have looked at the portage and main gassers and the economizers OWB, but I could not justify the purchase at the prices they wanted for them. from what I read on here they are working well. Not knowing your layout, I bet you could get into an indoor unit in a shed/shop cheaper and more efficient.
If you have the room in the shop I would slide a Garn right in IMHO you have the location advantage over me.

If you use dry wood in what you have I suspect most of your issues will go away.

I would rather have an outdoor boiler. I have a central boiler at the present time and just looking to update it to a higher efficiency boiler. I have some greenhouses I heat in the spring and would like to have a boiler that burns the fuel to ash instead of charcoal.

I cant help you with first hand knowledge of Portage and Main, but I have heard very good things about them from some other posts here and on other forums.

As maple1 mentioned, I would try to get your wood dry first, since thats the easiest/cheapest place to start. When I burn wood thats too wet in my boiler 1) it doesnt like it 2) I get big coals left, it doesnt burn down well. I would think that if you get some seasoned wood and keep it dry, that may help the coaling problem a lot. Also, you will use less wood, since you arent boiling the moisture out of it. The additional benefit is that if you did want to switch to a gasser, you would have dry wood ready to go!

I would just hate for you to spend the $ on a new boiler that might have the same issues down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.