looking for ideas... any suggestions will be appreciated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Thinking about adding another stove... Won't be used 24/7 but dunno what to do.
Gas logs? Pellet stove? Gas stove? Wood stove?
Thinking about freestanding , but taking the fireplace down to the tiles ...
Width is 48"by 32 by at least 2ft deep
I have a summit insert upstairs same size fireplace and shroud barely covers the opening - big fireplace
Looking for ideas/suggestions

Attachments

• IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 409
That would depend on a lot of factors like where it's located. Tell us more about what you are heating and how. How much would the heat generated migrate to other areas of the house? How much is the area where the fireplace is located used? etc. etc.

Would help to specify your fuel preference. I see by your sig that your an equal opportunity burner!

BeGreen said:
That would depend on a lot of factors like where it's located. Tell us more about what you are heating and how. How much would the heat generated migrate to other areas of the house? How much is the area where the fireplace is located used? etc. etc.

It's in my basement about 1300sq ft.....
The fireplace is so large I was thinking bigger stove , not planning on anything more than the basement but if we lost power and the heat can go upstairs hey why not.. basement is finished and mostly insulated but not 100%
Here a better shot from across the room ... Main room is 24x30

Attachments

• IMAG0614.jpg
    IMAG0614.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 305
MasterMech said:
Would help to specify your fuel preference. I see by your sig that your an equal opportunity burner!

I like gas ... But nothing beats wood... Plus I dunno if my gas line is big enough
Pellets, yea but hate when they break so let's go wood

Sounds like a home for Summit #2. You may have the first house where we hold the first Summit Conference. :lol:

I
BeGreen said:
Sounds like a home for Summit #2. You may have the first house where we hold the first Summit Conference. :lol:

That's what I was thinking till I fell victim Of the "cracks"

A Clydesdale would look good in that mammoth hole ya got there!

iceman said:
I
BeGreen said:

That's what I was thinking till I fell victim Of the "cracks"

Use that as leverage on the dealer and PE tech support.

Or maybe put in a big Lopi, Avalon, Regency?

You might consider a Buck stove. I think they are dead solid reliable and some of them have the cat option too.

Good luck,
Bill

I was looking at buck and a kuma... But trying to figure out how one is 3.6 cu ft and the other 4.4 ... Wondering if those numbers are real or not..

But would like something with a big window ... Thinking... About bk but think kuma or buck stoves are better bang for the money..

Gonna check Craigslist

iceman said:

Buck 91 - take a look-see at the Buck stove web site. It is a cat stove too. If it would work and ain't damaged, $700 sounds like a pretty good deal - assuming you can get it out of the guy's house without scratching the floor.... ;)

Good luck,
Bill

Sounds like a good buy. It would be fun getting it out. That's big beeotch.
I'm curious about the 'needs no piping' part, though.

Buck says you can pipe it past the damper in a fireplace so I think that's what he did.. a no-no for us!
Just measured my fireplace and it 29 inches deep will be very lucky if it fits flush as a freestanding .. might have to pass and look for something tad bit smaller ..... But thinking steel stove as the fireplace wall is massive and will soak in a lot of heat

iceman said:
Buck says you can pipe it past the damper in a fireplace so I think that's what he did.. a no-no for us!
Just measured my fireplace and it 29 inches deep will be very lucky if it fits flush as a freestanding .. might have to pass and look for something tad bit smaller ..... But thinking steel stove as the fireplace wall is massive and will soak in a lot of heat

You can get a leg kit and install the Buck as a freestanding stove. That's the only difference between their stoves and inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.